CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How to tell how snake is doing with handling?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
luklee
Question How to tell how snake is doing with handling?

Hi,

I was wondering, when you're handling your corn snake, what are some signs you look for that indicate whether they're comfortable and content versus stressed or not wanting to be handled (aside from a strike obviously)?

I have a relatively new adult corn named Akurra, and I've just begun having handling sessions with her. The first two days seemed to go wonderfully, she seemed calm and curious and active and almost pleased to be out (although from her heavy breathing I think I've discovered that she is scared of heights, so we hang out close to the ground). Today however, I just got the impression that she seemed to be less comfortable so I cut handling short. But I then realized that I am not 100% sure I know what I'm even talking about....

So- what subtle cues/signals have you discovered and what do they tell you?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

L

Old 05-11-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by luklee View Post
Hi,
I just got the impression that she seemed to be less comfortable so I cut handling short. But I then realized that I am not 100% sure I know what I'm even talking about....

So- what subtle cues/signals have you discovered and what do they tell you?

When you say she seemed to be less comfortable, How were you feeling at the time?

I found that when i got my corns when i was holding Rexy that if i felt scared or un-comfortable then she would give off the same vibe.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
luklee
I suppose that I was feeling a bit stressed that she might be stressed! Very interesting that you notice they read you... I wouldn't have guessed that.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Amanda47
I've found that a corn that's not into being handled doesn't move much, just stays kind of stiff and still. And if they do move, it's quick and jerky, like it's trying to get away from you or doesn't want to be touched.

A comfortable snake is curious and the body is relaxed. It moves pretty slowly and investigates everything.

Snakes may not love being held in your hands, but they do like being out, as long as things seem safe. Try lying on your side on a bed or the floor and put the snake down close to your body. Don't move around too much or touch it, and it will eventually relax and start looking around.

If you set it down in the middle of an open space, it'll get nervous. When I take mine out briefly to clean up, I'll put it on the bed, then set a pillow on top of it. They feel better covered up, and if they calm down before I finish cleaning, they'll slowly come out and look around.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
luklee
Thank you very much for the thorough response. Great tips and insight, I will try that out and look for those cues! In your experience, does the snake usually calm down if you appropriately work through the behavior indicating they don't want to be held, or do you take that behavior as a sign to quickly stop and put them back?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
the biggest sign I have is when I walk into the room and my snake immediately comes to the door of his cage and waits until I open the door and he crawls into my hands.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
luklee
That's so cool! I assume it took time and regular handling before that behavior was established though, no?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
I'm almost 60 years old. I've been keeping pet snakes since I got my first one at age 17.

I've also had dogs, cats, parrots, aquarium fish, but I still think the snakes are the best.

All my snakes have been pleasing to own, they've all been very sweet, and well mannered. They all have had their own personalities, which over time you get to know.

I could tell just by looking at them if they were hungry, irritated, angry, happy, etc....

I treat my snakes just like I treat any other pet. They are a member of the family. You treat them with love and kindness and respect, and interact with them, and they in turn will trust you, grow to like you, and enjoy spending time with you.

A dog or cat will not trust you and may even bite you if they don't know you or if you never interact with them. Snakes are no different. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #9
luklee
Beautifully put, and I love the pictures!! Stunning snake you have. Thank you for the perspective. I can tell I have already fallen deeply in love with my snake, that's why I want to make sure I don't mess anything up here in the early going!

L

Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
beyourownspotlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by luklee View Post
Beautifully put, and I love the pictures!! Stunning snake you have. Thank you for the perspective. I can tell I have already fallen deeply in love with my snake, that's why I want to make sure I don't mess anything up here in the early going!

L
you sound very similar to me, in that you're in love with your corn and want it to be as happy/stressfree as possible.

I was a bit not apprehensive... I can't think of the right word. I class Alfie as a rescue, because he had previous owners who simply didn't want him, and who weren't able to care for him. And while I want to give him love, and show him not all humans are bad etc, I was starting to think maybe I had bitten off more than I could chew. But now, I want more than anything to give my little noodle all the love he deserves and care for him properly. I know it'll take time for him to trust me and know I don't mean him any harm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
behavior, handling, stress