CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Otis Progression Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
nicolefowler2005
Otis Progression Thread

The day I brought Otis home last November

He has the most beautiful coloring and has the best personality but he is a super picky eater!! He refuses to EVER eat more than once a week even though he really needs to be on a 5 day schedule to gain some weight!! It's almost like he is a "runt" and just refuses to grow much!! He is supposed to be a year old this month and is less than 40g!!!

He is a sweet boy and I love him to death!! I have taken him to the vets twice to make sure he was ok where he just wasn't gaining weight or growing much and both times he got a great report with no known issues at all so I will just continue to shower him with love and just see where it goes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
jagodzinski
He's so cute! He is definitely teeny, but his body condition looks fine, and I'm glad the vet was able to give him a clean bill of health! I love the pictures - adorable

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
axis1
Ditto!

Otis certainly is a cute little sneaky one! I can't for the LIFE of me figure out how some of them can have the proclivity of being "picky" eaters! I mean, HOW could they POSSIBLY survive if they were in the wild with such a tendency? Makes you wonder.

At least you double-checked his health & well-being by taking him to a vet! What else can you do? Except maybe try an alternative rodent source (I would, BTW).

However, that said, they all DO grow at different rates. I have a yearling (Ozzy) who hit 175-180 at around the time of his first hatchday. My adult female (Lilly) was the first to reach 3' and 300 grams at a year and a half but that's where she virtually froze while Bozo and Chili-Pepper overtook her and kept growing. At 8 years old, she hovers around 300-330 grams (475 when gravid) while Bozo & Chili-Pepper average 950 grams & 745 grams respectively, both at around 5' long (Bozo certainly is a tad heavy as was recently confirmed by some members here and I've responded by switching his meals from small rats to large mice).

My thing is that I want to ensure my little sneaky ones have the best they possibly can. Kinda stupid when you think about it because what's good for them and what we perceive to be good for them might be two different things. Knowing that, I try my best to ensure they're all well-cared for. Even the six snow hatchlings I have left from Lilly's second clutch. They are all good eaters and were all relatively large out of their eggs (9 - 13 grams!!). They should all have new homes really soon, as I am really good networker and have been touting their arrival since Lilly laid the eggs back in July! I don't advertise here because I am not a breeder for monetary reasons.

In any case, THANX FOR SHARING!!!

Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
DollysMom
Otis looks wonderful! So cute.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
nicolefowler2005

Otis is finally gaining good weight and getting bigger....he's such a handsome boy!!!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Corning
Looks like he's growing now! He looks great

Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
nicolefowler2005
Yes he really is I'm so glad he was starting to worry me for a bit there

Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
nicolefowler2005

Otis loves his new tree!! The picture is terrible cause I have to use a light to keep the temp up in the cold Maine winters! These 40 gallon tanks are hard to keep warm enough

Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
DollysMom
He's a beautiful boy and looks so happy in his tree!

We have the same heating probs in illinois, though off the floor on an inside wall goes a long way to keeping the snakes warm enough. I haven't had to resort to a light yet, but I do have to monitor both heat and humidity closely in the winter.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
nicolefowler2005
I've literally tried everything other than the inside wall thing but that's unfortunately due to not having enough electrical ports on the inside walls!! They are right up against the baseboard heating unit but it's still not enough in the winter!! On the upside neither Bella or Otis seem to have a problem with the lights. I just have a humid hide in both tanks and monitor the humidity levels twice a day lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google