CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Strange behavior since the begining of spring

Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Casperfriendlysnake
Strange behavior since the begining of spring

Hey all! I just wanted to run something by people to see if something is going on with our 8 year old corn, Casper, or if I'm just over concerned about him as I sometimes am, heh.

We had a cold winter, and in March we were without power for several days. I moved our lil corn to our friend's place who had power but Casper is a big guy so we figured he was fine, and he was. It was in the sixties maybe temperature wise, we wrapped his tank in blankets and tried to play with him more to keep him warm. He stayed in one spot mostly in his tank but seemed totally fine. Other than being extra lazy this past winter (and a bit chubby) he was normal behavior wise.

Anyways, fast forward to the spring time: the past few weeks his behavior has been more aggressive, not towards people but in his cage. He's pushing his face against the top so hard we hear him, like sometimes dragging his face. He's constantly climbing and pushing against the top. So we though "maybe he needs to eat" but last time we fed him he killed the mouse but then acted super strange, darting around his cage, striking at the glass somewhat where my boyfriend was looking at him before finally eating. Casper continues to push constantly afterwards. His actions to me seem more desperate than the occasional time he tries to boop the top of his tank.

Does anyone know why he is acting like that? My current theory, though I don't know much about brumation, is that during the winter, in conjunction with the power outage, did he somehow go through brumation? Is he trying to get out to find a lady snake? Any advice or input is welcome, thanks for reading!

Old 06-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
DollysMom
They don't need to brumate to be looking for love in the spring. I doubt he went into brumation at 60 especially with you keeping him active. How long was he at 60?

Outwardly, it sounds like love but it could be distress from pain or an illness. It's hard to tell from a verbal description. It may be time for a vet check. If in doubt it is well worth the cost.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Casperfriendlysnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
They don't need to brumate to be looking for love in the spring. I doubt he went into brumation at 60 especially with you keeping him active. How long was he at 60?

Outwardly, it sounds like love but it could be distress from pain or an illness. It's hard to tell from a verbal description. It may be time for a vet check. If in doubt it is well worth the cost.
Less than a week. I forgot to mention he lives in the basement which is somewhat cooler than the rest of the house as well. From what I've been researching is that it is probably love. We took him out last night to check him out and he behaved really well with us like normal but when we put him back he kept searching around his cage to get out, but less frantic like. We checked him out and physically he seems alright. If he starts behaving like super frantic again though I think I will take him to a vet. Thanks for your advice!

If it is love though, is he okay if doesn't find a mate?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
DollysMom
Yes, perfectly okay not to have a mate. Best wishes. Hope he calms down soon.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
vera_r
Could he just be bored and wanting more attention since he was calm outside of his cage? Just wondering. Mine is a girl and a baby, so I have no clue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
DollysMom
To my knowledge there's no way to absolutely know, Vera. While it is clear that our snakes respond to and interact with us, it is unclear that they "need" our attention. In fact, there are times like digestion and shed that our snakes definitely need to be left alone.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
vera_r
Quote:
To my knowledge there's no way to absolutely know, Vera. While it is clear that our snakes respond to and interact with us, it is unclear that they "need" our attention. In fact, there are times like digestion and shed that our snakes definitely need to be left alone.
Very true. I was just wondering because my baby corn does weird stuff when she is bored. In fact, I change her decor around a few times a month to keep it interrsting. I love watching her explore everything like it is all new.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
DollysMom
Again, I'm not sure they get bored in the sense we get bored. While they are more intelligent and responsive than generally given credit, I try not to anthropomorphize except in jest.

One thing I do know (have read it in a text book) is that they can hear in the range of the human voice and I have seen my snakes react to my voice. Another thing is that they can be acclimated to handling. I also know that they are perfect and totally excellent at being snakes. Corn snakes are graceful, gentle, beautiful, and peaceful.

I'm not so sure, except for basic care, how much they need me; but I sure do need them. Living with and working with my pet snakes is certainly one of life's greatest gifts.

That's interesting that you change up the decor. I almost never change it up on my snakes. They get a new piece of decor here and there. They get cleaned regularly. They still go through periods of greater and lesser activity. I certainly know a lot goes on in the dark that I never see evidenced by trails and tunnels in the aspen! It's like there is a party of one after dark.

I know that my corn snakes literally unwrap and drop from my arm and "go home" when I put them back in their enclosure after an outing. There must be something there they recognize!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
vera_r
Quote:
Again, I'm not sure they get bored in the sense we get bored. While they are more intelligent and responsive than generally given credit, I try not to anthropormophize except in jest.

One thing I do know (have read it in a text book) is that they can hear in the range of the human voice and I have seen my snakes react to my voice. Another thing is that they can be acclimated to handling. I also know that they are perfect and totally excellent at being snakes. Corn snakes are graceful, gentle, beautiful, and peaceful.

I'm not so sure, except for basic care, how much they need me; but I sure do need them. Living with and working with my pet snakes is certainly one of life's greatest gifts.

That's interesting that you change up the decor. I almost never change it up on my snakes. They get a new piece of decor here and there. They get cleaned regularly. They still go through periods of greater and lesser activity. I certainly know a lot goes on in the dark that I never see evidenced by trails and tunnels in the aspen! It's like there is a party of one after dark.

I know that my corn snakes literally unwrap and drop from my arm and "go home" when I put them back in their enclosure after an outing. There must be something there they recognize!
I wonder if it is a smell they recognize. They each have their own personalities. I always laugh when Ruby doesn't want handled at first, but then she holds on to my pinky when I go to put her back. Sometimes I literally have to nudge her backside to get her to let go of me. They are so fun to watch too.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
DollysMom
Oh yeah. I love watching them even when they are doing nothing!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
behavior, brumation, power outage