CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Do you have other pets, and how are they around your snake(s)?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Do you have other pets, and how are they around your snake(s)?

I have a cat, who is THE most atypical cat in the entire universe (super laid back, goes and hides when my friend brings his small parrot over). I have no concerns about them being in the same house, and will of course take all necessary precautions that they are never together.

That said, was curious what other animals people have here -- cats? dogs? parrots? and what their interactions are with your corns.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
chestyp1110
I've got a Doberman's​ and he looks at it like if the snake is an alien. Really doesn't get to close, he tolerates it. Snake, I think knows it's protected! Funny interaction.. 😁

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Old 06-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I had a Red Tail Colombian Boa many years ago and a Grey Tiger Striped Tabby cat at the same time. When I first got the Boa it was a baby and about 2 feet long. The cat was fascinated by it and tormented the snake. (You know how cats like to chase strings and play with stuff). The cat ("Paw") probably thought the snake ('Eve") was a toy I got for him.

Anyway, I had to keep the door closed to the room where the snake was to keep Paw out.

Fast Forward about 5 years - Eventually Eve was 11 feet long and weighed about 65 pounds. She could have eaten Paw at this point if they ever got together, and I was concerned enough that I made a decision. I ended up giving Paw to my Niece (brother's daughter) and I kept Eve.

Paw lived to the ripe old age of 14, and Eve made it to 23.

I only have a 1 Corn snake today. I have always liked snakes and have had 5 since I was 17. (I'm almost 60 now). I've also had 2 parrots, an aquarium with fish, and 2 dogs, and Paw the cat. For the most part Dogs don't care one way or the other. Cats on the other hand love things that move. If a cat got hold of a young corn snake it would probably kill it.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
beckyhiker
We have Zaya, baby Okeetee corn snake, and newest member of the family, 3 male cats ages 7 and 8, 5 angelfish and 4 festivum cichlids all of whom we got shortly before Zaya, and various other smaller fish. And we feed the birds (and apparently the squirrels and deer too).

Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
anthroterra01
Two dogs, a cat, a parrotlet, 5 snakes (2 corn, 2 ball, 1 rainbow boa), and a small human here. I don't let them directly interact, but I do let one snake out at a time in the yard for exercise as long as everyone is calm. The dog doesn't really notice, and the snakes are pretty used to them from walking in front of their cages. Here are my banana ball, papillon, and son pretty much ignoring each other lol.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
anthroterra01
As for the corn snakes, they're much faster a wigglier. I'll only let them out near other animals if they're on low tree branches, out of reach.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 AM   #7
Cockatrice
I've got a cat, a corgi, house chickens and a house duck. My rule of thumb has always been don't let them interact with the reptiles at all (the birds aren't allowed near the mammals either.) There is always a chance for that to end tragically no matter how good someone thinks their animal is or how much you trust them, and it isn't worth risking a pet's life over. All it takes is one wrong move (possibly even a friendly one!) and that could be the end for one of them.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
chestyp1110
Very true... Better safe then sad later...

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
DLena
I have a collie, a mouse, and snakes. The dog could not care less about the snakes. Mr. Rumples does not come out around anyone...the dog would accidentally eat him while trying to lick him, and the snakes would eat him on purpose. The snakes don't care about the dog. I'll hold a snake and the dog doesn't even come over. When the snakes are roaming in the house or yard, the dog is put elsewhere. Just In Case!

Old 06-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Corning
I have 2 dogs a Shorkie and small Dotson and 3 snakes 2 corn and a sandboa. The shorkie loves attention and sniffs and licks my snakes. The snakes don't like it and they move away. I shoo the dog away cause I don't want him to get salmonella. Ozzy the biggest corn corn will move over the dogs where they lay on the couch to get by them. The Dotson give a supposed look and him and I move the snake off. The shorkie will look and him and not move. I don't see anything that would make me worry about one biting the other. It's usually happens when the dogs are on top of me while I have a snake out I am holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google