CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

How long before your snake came out of hiding?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
vera_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corning View Post
He's just a baby. And 6 days is very short time. Give him 2 weeks then handle him a short time and you can gradually increase the time you hold him. It takes time for them to realize that they don't have to be afraid of you. By a short time I mean like 5 minutes a couple days then 10 minutes. Wait 48 hrs after feeding while still so little.

As for the biter. That will get better with time too. When you pick him up do it more toward the tail end than the head. Wait till he stops biting you then put him back. You can use light gloves so the bites don't make you flinch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great answers! I would also add to come in from the side, not from above. Predators come from above. Since i have been doing that, my baby has been a lot less flighty. Also, do not touch them before you pick them up. It just freaks them out. I basically put my hand in the big and wait for her to "scent" me with her tongue. She still wants to go away, so when she turns, I scoop her up. She doesn't seem to mind it very much at all now. She "sat" with my boyfriend and hi through an entire movie the other night. She would stay still awhile and then move around. She went back and forth between us and explored the inside of our shirts when she got cold. It was fun for us and exhausting for her. She drank a bunch of water when I went to put her back. Now, when we put her back, we have to nudge her tail to get her to let go and go on in her viv. Be patient. This took 2 months to get this far.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
vera_r
Oh, do you have at sticks or leafy vines in there? Ruby loves to explore and climb. I move things around except for her favorite hide when I clean her cage. It makes her reexplore everything.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
LadyJemima
Slither up to me to be picked up? Damn, I'd love to own a snake that did that. Tango is super active in the evenings (and I suspect at night) but during the day he chills in his hides. He will allow me to pick him up, but never asks for it. It's completely natural for them to hide. It's what they do best in the wild!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
LadyJemima
Quote:
Oh, do you have at sticks or leafy vines in there? Ruby loves to explore and climb. I move things around except for her favorite hide when I clean her cage. It makes her reexplore everything.
I second this. Both (my) Ruby and Tango love to climb the vines. They also LOVE cork rounds. LOVE them. Give your snake a whole bunch of climbing and burrowing options as well as hides. And change them around every so often. It makes life enriching for them.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
Zincubus
Well there's loads of great advice in the above threads ..

For my part I put loads of branches and pieces of broken off bark in the vivs and they love the security it provides and will be far more active .
I'd also consider swapping from Aspen ( hate the stuff - looks rank bad and fake , appears to suck all the colour out of your snakes and it gets all over the carpets ) . I use dark coloured orchid bark which looks great and natural and makes your snake's colours stand out !

Also those open ended log hides you have offer no real security to the snake ...

Old 07-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
LadyJemima
Quote:
and it gets all over the carpets
This

Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #17
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
...........Also those open ended log hides you have offer no real security to the snake .......
On their own that is true, but if you place 2 of them together end to end, it makes them twice as long and Rufus loves to go in there like that.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
On their own that is true, but if you place 2 of them together end to end, it makes them twice as long and Rufus loves to go in there like that.

Maybe just a case of Hobson's choice ?

Bet if there was a normal snake hide next to the snake would choose the hide with one entrance ( thus more security ) ...... only one way to find out though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
Karl_Mcknight
he actually has 4 hides, 1 of them is a "Completely enclosed cave except for a tiny opening" and the other 3 are half logs, rocks, and vines, and to answer your question, yes he uses them all...... equally. In fact he's under the logs right now and has been since yesterday.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
vera_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
he actually has 4 hides, 1 of them is a "Completely enclosed cave except for a tiny opening" and the other 3 are half logs, rocks, and vines, and to answer your question, yes he uses them all...... equally. In fact he's under the logs right now and has been since yesterday.
Mine does that too. Its like she gets bored resting in the same place or something. Lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google