CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello All

Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
Karl_Mcknight
he will be more comfortable and settle down a lot better if you add more clutter to the cage. Your cage is basically "Wide Open" and most snakes including corn snakes do not like that. They like plenty of hiding places. We recommend a hiding spot on the warm side as well as 1 on the cool side. And it's certainly a plus if you have even more than that. I suggest you browse the forum and look at various people's setups. There are a number of us here that have posted pictures of our cages and accessories and you'd benefit from having a look and get an idea of what you need to do. Many of us have several hiding places as well as lots of Fake plants, rocks, branches and things to climb on and hide under...etc...

If you can look through your cage with an unobstructed view, then I can assure you, you're going to have a nervous scared corn snake.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by twekoninja View Post
Ok thank you so much. And feeding him one pinky per week is enough to get him to grow healthy for now?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
As a hatchling, yes, one pinky per week. If you don't already have one, pick up a digital scale (kitchen scale works) that measures in grams, so you can keep track of his weight.

There is something called the Munson Plan, which is a feeding guide you can follow. It gives you a idea of what weight to move up to the next prey size.

This is one of the charts floating out there. Depending on the snake, I sometimes wait until they are 2-3 grams over the listed weight before I move up in size.

The Munson Plan (Sample Feeding Chart)
-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
-Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

*For the snakes eating adult mice and XL adult mice, I feed the males every 2-3 weeks.

Some people feed babies every 7 days, instead of every 4-5 days. It's up to you. For me, I end up varied on feeding. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 days in between, some times it's 7 or 8 days between feedings.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
twekoninja
I'm going to go run some errands now so I'll go ahead and grab what I'm missing. Anything else you can think of besides more hides and a digital scale? What about feeding in the enclosure vs. Moving him to feed? I've read people do both with minimal differences. I'm just worried the aspen might hurt him if he ingests it.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by twekoninja View Post
I'm going to go run some errands now so I'll go ahead and grab what I'm missing. Anything else you can think of besides more hides and a digital scale? What about feeding in the enclosure vs. Moving him to feed? I've read people do both with minimal differences. I'm just worried the aspen might hurt him if he ingests it.

It's a personal preference. Some will tell you that the snake will become "cage aggressive" if you feed inside the enclosure. Not true.

I feed all my snakes in their enclosures.
You can use it as time to clean the enclosure if you want, by removing them during feeding. That is the only reason I would do it, but I do that separately.
I use aspen and cypress mulch in my enclosures. If the mouse is not wet, it generally doesn't stick to them. You can put it on a small paper plate or something, if you're concern about it.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
DollysMom
Welcome to the forum. Your little snake is adorable.

As someone who suffered a tragic loss due to a insecure lid, that lid needs to have Velcro straps around it and cinched down tight as well as clips. They can escape clips alone. They can push through the most amazing spaces. Something like Velcro or generic one wrap will work. I did it before I got proper snake secure cages with sliding lids. It is not worth the risk to have an unsecured lid. I still miss my little guy that escaped in the fall of 2015 never to be seen again!

I agree with all who say you need more hides. A hide can be a tp roll or a paper towel. I also agree that where you feed is a matter of personal preference.

That all said you are off to a great start and have a beautiful little motley corn snake.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
twekoninja
Bought two more little objects to throw in there, hopefully that's enough for now 😁. I can't wait for him to start moving around instead of laying under the substrate for 24 hours.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
twekoninja
He's exploring a little bit you can barely see him in the nose.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #18
twekoninja
Update: He loves the skull. Currently hiding in the chin

Old 07-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
DollysMom
Don't be too disappointed if he likes to be buried. Mine both have enclosures full of vines and hides. They still love to tunnel under the aspen. Realistically I only see my corn snakes when I find them and get them out. I may have a head poke out for hellos, or see a side through the door of the hide, but corn snakes like to hide nearly all day every day. Don't have unrealistic expectations. You will then be totally delighted when they do interact with you.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
twekoninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Don't be too disappointed if he likes to be buried. Mine both have enclosures full of vines and hides. They still love to tunnel under the aspen. Realistically I only see my corn snakes when I find them and get them out. I may have a head poke out for hellos, or see a side through the door of the hide, but corn snakes like to hide nearly all day every day. Don't have unrealistic expectations. You will then be totally delighted when they do interact with you.
Good to know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google