• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How is my setup?

That looks nice!

Just be careful with the sticks. They don't look like they are secured and they can possibly fall if he climbs on them.

That looks nice!

Just be careful with the sticks. They don't look like they are secured and they can possibly fall if he climbs on them.
How do I secure them? They are technically bird perches since the store didn't have anything specially for snakes, is there something different I should get from Amazon?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How do I secure them? They are technically bird perches since the store didn't have anything specially for snakes, is there something different I should get from Amazon?

I just now jammed them in a little firmer so if I try to wriggle them back and forth they don't give

There are only two ways, other than jamming, that I know of to secure branches, vines, or other climbing apparatus to the glass. One is suction cups. You could go to the hardware store and rig up an hook and eyelet kind of thing with a suction cup to do that. The other is magnets. You would hot glue or otherwise safely affix something that a magnet could hold and then use a strong magnet on the outside of the glass to hold it in place.

The other thing people do is build little stable "jungle gyms". You could do that by hot gluing several perches together. I've also seen people use the dowel type wine racks. IKEA has an inexpensive wine rack but it currently would take up most of your enclosure.

One more thing. We've given you all this hopefully constructive criticism, but good on you for coming here, asking, and making a really appropriate home for your new snake. Not enough people do this and you are to be commended, HeckinSnek!

Thank you so much for all your help, despite that and the fact that I myself was unable to move the lid at all with 6 clamps on it Louie Louie escaped the first night I had him. If anyone in the area would like any of my supplies let me know.

Don't give up so easily. Unless you had the vivarium outside Louie may show up eventually. Snakes want 3 basic things, security, food, and water. Check out the forum searches for missing corns and try some of the ideas. You can always give away the supplies later if necessary.

Is that log hollow? (The decoration one, closer to the water dish). Maybe he is in there..?

Oh look, it's THAT log. I can't count how many times I've talked people out of buying one for their baby colubrid. I've seen several posts on facebook and forums (including a friend I sent a hatchling to) who "lost" their snake only to find it crammed inside the top of that thing.

Oh look, it's THAT log. I can't count how many times I've talked people out of buying one for their baby colubrid. I've seen several posts on facebook and forums (including a friend I sent a hatchling to) who "lost" their snake only to find it crammed inside the top of that thing.
http://m.imgur.com/0ETj3Iy,dQZV4Vn,AfgGA7P,mBumSWQ
This was the first place he went after I put him in the tank so it was the first place I checked, I put a pinkie in it last night hoping that even if I didn't see him maybe he'd eat it and hide again so I'd know he was still in the viv, he didn't take it. I just now jammed one up far enough into the very top of it that I can barely see it's there and it won't fall out into the lower level. Does that seem like a good plan for now?

no you don't want to jam the pinkie into a small place. Just lay it out in a lid or something. I agree that that is the branch the snakes get lost in. He's probably in there. Many people have "lost" their snakes in that.

I'd take that log hide and submerge it in luke warm water. If he's in there he'll swim out.
I just did that and nothing happened, I was too afraid of accidentally drowning him when he didn't swim out right away so I emptied it out and put it back in the viv

we have seen many people with that same log have a baby snake in there and not be able to find it. We typically warn people of those kinds of hides.

we have seen many people with that same log have a baby snake in there and not be able to find it. We typically warn people of those kinds of hides.
Well I'll wait and leave the clips on, I'm glad I kept them on all last night. I'm going to run out of pinkies if I keep using them trying to lure him out, if he is in there how long do you think he'll stay, especially since I would have just spooked him quite a bit...

sure they can. Snakes crawl forward better than backward. If he is up in a little nook or cranny inside that log, he may not be able to back himself out.

I remember somebody who had a log just like your's thought they lost their snake and then discovered it was in there, and it would not come out, and they eventually had to cut the log in half to get the snake out.

Of course we don't recommend that as you could kill the snake in the process, but if the snake is going to die anyway, then at some point you might have to make a decision.

I think they used something like a hand held dremel tool with a cutting blade on it and cut along the seams where the plasitc log was formed.

sure they can. Snakes crawl forward better than backward. If he is up in a little nook or cranny inside that log, he may not be able to back himself out.

I remember somebody who had a log just like your's thought they lost their snake and then discovered it was in there, and it would not come out, and they eventually had to cut the log in half to get the snake out.

Of course we don't recommend that as you could kill the snake in the process, but if the snake is going to die anyway, then at some point you might have to make a decision.

I think they used something like a hand held dremel tool with a cutting blade on it and cut along the seams where the plasitc log was formed.
Holy crap, oh my god I wish I had known that I feel so bad for the little snake, maybe I can cut the tip off so I can look inside it better, oh my god what if he's in there and I kill him on accident by trying to cut it open, I feel so bad [emoji24]

Back