CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Why is my baby corn not eating???

Old 09-24-2002, 07:06 PM   #1
Angelina
Why is my baby corn not eating???

My albino baby is not eating!!! (BTW they are seperated now) I have tried to feed her twice now, the first time was last friday and I put her into a small container and all she did was crawl around and look out the sides. So I tried a few days later and tried putting her in a paper bag with a live pinkie for quite a few hours....that didn't work either!! My blizzard male baby shedded his skin last night (and has been eating fine) it was weird because I didn't get any warning. I just opened the box this morning and there was this whole piece of shedded skin. I have never seen anything like it, I wish my Boa, Chloe would shed like that!! So now I'm thinking that my albino baby may be shedding too, but she has no symptoms. Maybe that is why is she not eating? Do baby corns shed their skin that easily with no warning signs?? What else can I do to try to make her eat?!? How long can she go without eating? Can anybody help?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #2
yofoo
that sucks, sorry im new so i cant really tell you anything but to look around in the forums for answers, i was doin that and i saw some feeding techniques

Old 09-24-2002, 09:28 PM   #3
Alicia
They all show signs before shedding but sometimes it can be missed with the corns with light colors and light eyes. Some snakes will not eat during a shed cycle. Keep trying to feed her every 3 - 4 days. One suggestion, leave her in the bag or container over night. She may need the quite and darkness. Leave the feeding container in the cage with the lid secure and don't disturb her till morning While hatchlings can't go as long as adults without eating, I wouldn't worry yet. If she is not interested in the whole pinkie try just the head. You can also try braining the pinkie. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
Angelina
yuck!!! I don't know about cutting the head off!! That might give me bad dreams LOL I read something about feeding them in the evening, I think I'll try that next... (my boa is throughly enjoying the uneaten pinkies though!!) I hope that maybe she is shedding also, though she looks pretty normal. I am going to give her a few more days then try again.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:57 PM   #5
Alicia
If you use a frozen pinkie you can just snap the head off while still frozen. Feeding in the evening or overnight is good.

I bet the Boa does like it's popcorn pinkie treat

Old 09-25-2002, 01:08 AM   #6
dartguy
dont worry too much about your baby not eating.

A friend of mine hatched out 4 babies in late july.
I got two right away
1 ate great for a few weeks then quit for a month then I just got him to eat with out any help
1 only eats brained pinkys
I just took the other 2 (that have never eaten since hatching (late july))
both were not interested in brained pinkys but just fed tonight (immediately ) on anole hatchlings

so these babies (as you can see) can go quite a while without eating.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:19 AM   #7
Angelina
That makes me feel a little better. I just don't want her to become malnourished. I like her better than my male. I've haven't had her for very long and already she is turning into such a sweetie!! My friend told me that I was being a "worrywart" and that she would eat when she was hungry. I hope so (he has pythons)

BTW whats the deal with the brained pinkies?? ARE they more "tasty" than a whole pinky??? Though I don't think I have the nerve to do it. But if thats what it takes for her to eat, then I guess I'll have to do it. Or make my hubby do it....

Old 09-25-2002, 01:31 AM   #8
dartguy
the smell of blood helps stimulate the appetite...you can do it with a frozen thawed or recently dead pinky so you don't have to do it to a live mouse

Old 09-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #9
kenalotia
If she still doesn't eat when you try a brained pinkie or pinkie head, you might want to try scenting a pinkie with an anole. Some corns just really want an anole for their first meals. Take a live or frozen/thawed green anole and rub it on the pinkie. Make the pinkie smell nice and anole-ish, then try feeding your snake. If this doesn't work, you can also try just feeding an anole, like dartguy did. But anoles are more likely to have parasites than mice, so I'd rather get her eating a scented pinkie. (Of course, I'd rather have her eating an anole than starving herself...)

Old 09-25-2002, 01:51 PM   #10
Angelina
what the heck is an anole???? a lizard??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google