CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Scaleless Hatchling

Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
ranmiller
Scaleless Hatchling

In November of last year I bought the most darling little scaleless at an expo. I have been eyeing these for a while but the price tag, OMG. Anyway, at this expo there was someone there selling males for $150 and females for $200. They were teeny and skinny looking. He could not give me a hatch date other than "sometime over the past summer". One of the males had a regurg in the deli cup. I knew it was a gamble, but I picked the female who looked the least skinny and brought her home. A few days later I fed her and to my delight she struck at the f/t pink and ate greedily. Much to my dismay she regurged a partially digested blob a day later (still recognizable as a pink). I promptly ordered nutribac and doctored her water. I fed her again 10 days later and she gingerly took it and ate. 3 days later I found a disgusting blob of black disgusting goo. IDK if it was a regurg or abnormal poo but regardless it was not normal. I kept doctoring her water but she then refused food for 4 solid weeks. Finally, she took a feed and did not regurg. She no longer strikes or will take food from the tongs though. I have to warm it up really warm and toss it into her hide. I then check the next morning to see if she ate. She took 4 feeds in a row. She finally shed for me (which I found when I fed last night). I thought we were over the hump and headed to success but this morning I discovered that she did not eat last night's pink. I haven't handled her since she went off feed and she is gorgeous. I just want to have her eat and grow so I can hold her but man, she likes to keep me stressed out. Her husbandry is solid, I have a pair of het scaleless the same age who eat like pigs and are growing way faster than her. I handle them frequently. It doesn't seem to bother them and they have never refused a meal. They are ready to move to fuzzies and eat 2 pinks at a time now. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them. Maybe she's just a slow starter? I am hoping this isn't a lifelong issue with her.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Hi Ran -

I have had pretty good success with non-feeders or poor feeders, using the techniques you've described. I think you're doing everything right, and one refusal may just a bit of a set back.

That said, you mentioned that she had abnormal poop. With the consistent feeds, did her poop start to look normal? With the cagey seller, I'd be concerned that there are health issues with the breeders collection. I'd recommend taking a sample in for testing to rule out any problems. You certainly don't want to run the risk of introducing potential infectious disease to your entire collection.

Good luck!

-Tonya

Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
ranmiller
Thanks for the reply. Her poo did return to normal once she started eating normally. I will definitely collect her next one and take it in for testing. I just put in another pink to see if she would eat. Hopefully it was just too warm or not warm enough and she will take this one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google