• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake Heating/Temps question!

cwheel22

Hello guys im new here, my name is Chase,
I am going to be getting my first corn snake here in a couple days and I have everything set up so I wanted to ask everyone if what I have is okay, as i have done a ton of research and everyone has their different opinions. I recently bought a thermostat as the temp on the heat mat reached 140F! I set the thermostat for the heat mat to 105F and the temp above the substrate is sitting at about 86-87 under the warm hide. The air is about 84-85 on the warm side and about 79 on the cool side. I am also using a daylight bulb. Are these temps okay? Thank you very much!

The bulb is unnecessary. You also want the temp at the *glass* over the heat mat to be 85 degrees as that should be the hottest temperature the snake can access. Your snake will burrow to get to the warmth it desires.

I agree with Shairi, your new snake can/will likely burn themselves with the heat mat temp that high. They will burrow below the substrate, so you want to make sure the temp at the heat source is regulated at a safe temp.

Welcome to the snake forum!!

I use a ceramic heat lamp toned down with a dimmer to try and keep the ambient air temp on the warm side as well as using the heat mat. Just make sure that you have a nice hide for him directly over the mat as well. My little guy likes to climb so I want him to be warm on that side of the tank wherever he goes.

Good luck!

Back