CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Three pinkies?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
DeuceRon
Three pinkies?

So my little guy is now 39 grams in weight. According to what I've read, he should be fed appeox 5.5 grams every five days.

Two pinkies ready to feed is around 4 grams.

I have some fuzzies but they look way too big for him to manage. In fact, he looks like he's struggling to get a pinky in his mouth.

Is it out of the ordinary to feed a snake three pinkies in a single feeding? I just don't want to deprive him of his entire meal weight.

Any help is appreciated .

Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
a 39 gram snake should be able to eat 1 "Fuzzy" (a small mouse weighing about 5 to 6 grams) every 5 to 7 days.

You'd be surprised what a snake can swallow. Don't think about the size of the snake's head or mouth, look at the snake's body in its widest point. (About mid way down). The snake can easily swallow something about 1.5 times that size.

If you have an abundance of pinkies and you just want to get rid of them, sure you could continue to feed 2 or 3. But your snake is ready to step up even if you're not.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Twolunger
I like to move my corns up to fuzzies as soon as possible. I normally have 4 sizes of mice on hand for hatchlings. I start out with newly born pinkies, then large pinkies, then peach fuzzies, and large fuzzies. They really grow nicely when you move them to fuzzies. I got carried away last week when feeding the young corns, and dropped a large fuzzy in with a 30 gram female. Before I could get it away from her she grabbed it and soon consumed the fuzzy. You could take the advice of some forum members and cut through the back of fuzzies. Do a forum search and you will be able to read the reasoning.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 AM   #4
MysticExotics
At 39 grams, your snake should be able to eat a mouse fuzzy. I move mine up to fuzzies a 30 grams, sometimes starting with a peach fuzzy if they seem to need it.

They can eat bigger meals than you think.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
DeuceRon
I appreciate the quick feedback everyone. I will certainly give fuzzies a try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google