CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Please Help: Snake with Possible Broken Vertebrae

Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #41
Nanci
I wonder if he got stuck and pulled??

Well, my little kinked snake who graduated to fuzzies tonight says 'You have to give him a chance!!!"

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #42
Lyreiania
Hi all...
An update on my beautiful boy. He ate 11/15, 3 small mice. And yesterday he was doing sort of well, neurologically.

Today, however, I came home and he was wrapped in one of his Gordian knots (he can only move part way, so moves, gets stuck, picks a different direction, same thing happens and he winds up in multiple tight helixes that I help him out of). And, his neurologic function seems WELL diminished from yesterday. Immediately past the fracture he seems to have a blind area thats not mobile at all, not new...but towards the tail he responds somewhat better which makes NO sense in any way shape or form. That is unchanged, but it now takes stronger stimuli to get a response. I have been working with him way past the site to make sure his muscles dont atrophy and he doesnt get clots. Ive not moved the fracture site at all in this.

I consulted with another reptile vet (by phone) who said its possible the snake has something degenerative, maybe caused by bacteria who chew up the spine (sort of the same way strep bacteria can affect the heart valves and kidneys in humans). She wants to X Ray the whole snake to see if she can detect evidence of this, and said creative bracing may be in order depending on what X Rays show. To X Ray the whole snake...thats over 6 feet of snake!

Im worried his rapid change from yesterday means a fast descent downhill for my poor boy. I dont know if I should take him in to see this other vet tomorrow or later this coming week because I know there is little to nothing that can be done. Hes an older snake, so hes not a great surgical candidate, for sure.

I also dont want an animal suffering. The question is, how does anyone know when a snake suffers? He SEEMS bright and alert still. Drinks water when I offer (he has a low dish near him, but seems to like the personal touch more)I just dont know what to do. I feel like a horrid snake parent because my pet was injured and Ive not a clue how it happened. Ockhams razor (simplest explanation is likliest) suggests he was injured when I had him in his travel bag, and my attention elsewhere.

Im devastated if he was harmed due to my negligence even though I believed him to be safe where he was. And I certainly took him to seek medical care immediately, so one can say it wasnt negligence but I dont know. Maybe Im just beating myself up here for no good reason.

Advice? Comments? Thank you all much,
Sincerely,
Susan

Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #43
Nanci
Can he get around by himself?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #44
Lyreiania
Hi Nanci...
No, he cant get around effectively by himself. He drags himself some, but he manages to tie himself in knots more often.

When I work with him, he can move somewhat better. On his own, though, he forms a knot. And that cant be good for his vertebrae either.

Sincerely,
Susan

Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #45
measley
I'm so sorry this is happening to you... I don't know too much about snake health so can't offer you much advice in that area but I just wanted to say that I'm hoping for the best and it sounds like you're a great mommy to him...

Good luck

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #46
Lyreiania
Measley,
Thank you so much for your kind wishes and thoughts on my boy. I wish I felt better about the situation...and I know to even the best of "parents" the unforeseen happens, but its so hard when its MY pet.

Thanks again,
Susan

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #47
Rich in KY
Having an injured pet is never easy.

You seem to doing the best that you can under the circumstances.

I hope this new vet is able to do something creative to help.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #48
Lyreiania
Hello to all,
Thank you all so much for your past kindnesses. Here is an update on my boy, and ANY advice would be MOST welcome.

He had a re XRAY of his broken spine Dec 18th, (original injury Oct 10th) and the X RAY showed a NON healing fracture. Apparently, for a good healthy callous to form, the bone ends must be touching...in his case, there seems to be a displaced bone floating, and so since no contact, no healing.

He has weakness past that fracture site, its VERY hard for him to get around though with difficulty, he can. He seems to be lost in space at times...its hard to explain but his movements are so bizzare, and many times now since the vet appointment I find him belly up (which causes momentary panic I tell you!!). I help him gently to right himself. He seems somewhat frustrated during those times but his disposition remains friendly.

He still eats regularly, and passess stool seemingly without a problem. He can drink as well, but he needs low bowls to reach his water.

I dont think he can be left like this...what do you all say? If he has a floating displaced bone, it can move and further injure his already injured spinal cord. Im thinking of suggesting the possibility of a bone graft? If there needs to be contact to get it to heal, stick a segment of bone in the gap...make sense to anyone else?

Its so heartbreaking for me to see my beloved snake struggling. I dont believe he is SUFFERING though. I wish to gods I knew how the break occured. I cant post the new X Ray as its not in a JPEG format or any other familar one.

Any ideas? Advice? Suggestions? Anyone have anything similar?

Sincerely,
Susan

Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #49
Nanci
Do they bone graft snakes? I guess my answer hasn't changed. If YOU get enjoyment out of him, the way he is, and if HE is eating, drinking, pooping- give it more time and hope for the best. He might, probably will, end up being a special needs snake for the rest of his life. However, he might recover. Stranger things have happened. I am sure, though, if you were just tired of the struggle, no one would fault you in putting him to sleep, either. Take comfort in the fact that he doesn't remember what it was like before. He just knows what it is, now. He hasn't given up. He isn't worried about tomorrow. He's just living his life, as it is. And you are helping him.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #50
vetusvates
Susan, I agree 100% with Nanci. Breath deeply and embrace the fact that you just may have a special needs snake. Or if his health, and quality of life, seem to be declining consider a comfortable pleasant end. I know sentiment and love for your snake does not make it easy, but at some point the cost/benefit ratio for your pleasure/satisfaction will/may kick in.

I would think a bone graft would involve a significant period of a splint and 100% immobilization. And then there is the cost, and finding a vet willing to do it.
I obviously don't have a solid answer, but I encouraged you before,...and I just can't seem to abandon you now, as I have been following your ups and downs with your snake.
Good luck with some tough decisions. And keep us posted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google