CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"miam phase okeetee" ?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Jessica29
"miam phase okeetee" ?

The local pet store here has had two adult corns there for awhile, both labels as "Miami phase okeetee" I doubt that is correct. They are pretty snakes and I know they are normals, but would you call them something else? Just curious. They look kinda skinny to me too.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
ghosthousecorns
I'd call it a normal. It doesn't look skinny to me in that photo

Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
bitsy
The background isn't grey enough to be Miami and the borders aren't thick and clear enough to be Okeetees. They look the same as one of my Normals and TBH look rather on the well-fed side for my preference. No evidence of them being skinny such as prominent spine or sunken flanks. I think the shop is just trying to make them sound more interesting than they actually are. Out of interest, what's the price tag?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Jessica29
In the middle part of the snake you can actually see the spine and has sort of a triangle shape. They're only asking $65, which for even an adult normal isn't to bad.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Chip
I wouldn't give $65 for it. And that triangle shape (Hershey's kiss vs. loaf of bread), is usually a sign of poor health. There have been plenty of healthy normals on here for under $50.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Jessica29
I just meant for a pet shop $65 isn't bad. At least around here.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
bitsy
Quote:
In the middle part of the snake you can actually see the spine and has sort of a triangle shape.
I'm not seeing that in those photos - perhaps they're different in the flesh. It's not really feasible to have a Corn that's only underweight in one section of the body.

$65 wouldn't be bad for the two, but I agree that for one it's pretty steep.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Chip
By all means, that's a low retail price! Just saying that (in this economy especially) there are some pretty nice corns to be had for 65 bucks.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
DMong
Your instinct about it was right. Pet stores (and many other too) like to dream up all sorts of ridiculous names for their snakes in an attempt to make them "sound" something they aren't and more exotic. One thing's for certain,..........and that is the snake doesn't even remotely resemble what they are attempting to portray it as. The name in itself is pretty much a misnomer anyway, let alone a morph of any kind. It has a very typical wild-caught look to it. That's not to say that it actually IS wild-caught, but there are all sorts of wild corns from different areas of the country that look pretty standard and dark like that.

It does look a bit thin to me too, but I have seen far worse at stores as well.

cheers, ~Doug

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google