CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Outcast
My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

As a veteran who has served in battle, and taken lives. I have come away with PTSD. It is traumatic to be in a situation like that. Unfortunately, that is what our government seems to hope from its troops, so it can demonize us, and make us all look like psychopaths. I am more aware of my surroundings. I refuse to carry a gun or knife on my person, because I suffer from anxiety and flashbacks. I no longer drink to get drunk, just because I do not want to have a flash back and hurt someone with my stupid drunk strength.

But, our government wants to continue to take away my rights to own a gun, because of my mental condition. A condition that was created in a war that they sent me to. Myself, and my brothers and sisters, fought for the right to come home and live our lives the way we see fit. But, when we get back, we are told we are unfit to do so, because of what we experienced in war.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...fire/?page=all

Luckily there is at least one man who is making sense with stating that a judge should be the one who chooses. Not the VA.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Rich Z
If a judge can choose which "right" you can have, then it really isn't a "right" at all, now is it?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
tsst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
As a veteran who has served in battle, and taken lives. I have come away with PTSD. It is traumatic to be in a situation like that. Unfortunately, that is what our government seems to hope from its troops, so it can demonize us, and make us all look like psychopaths. I am more aware of my surroundings. I refuse to carry a gun or knife on my person, because I suffer from anxiety and flashbacks. I no longer drink to get drunk, just because I do not want to have a flash back and hurt someone with my stupid drunk strength.

But, our government wants to continue to take away my rights to own a gun, because of my mental condition. A condition that was created in a war that they sent me to. Myself, and my brothers and sisters, fought for the right to come home and live our lives the way we see fit. But, when we get back, we are told we are unfit to do so, because of what we experienced in war.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...fire/?page=all

Luckily there is at least one man who is making sense with stating that a judge should be the one who chooses. Not the VA.
Judging by your posts on here you are in no way what I would consider 'mentally incompetent'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
If a judge can choose which "right" you can have, then it really isn't a "right" at all, now is it?
Exactly! But they sure believe they can.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Outcast
I agree Rich. But, I would rather have someone who knows the law making that decision, than someone who just feels that I am incompetent and should not own a weapon... The problem with that thinking is that they do not realize that I can literally turn anything I touch into a deadly weapon, because of how I was trained to think. I do not need a gun when I have a flashback or whatever, in order to hurt someone. But, I do not want my gun rights taken from me, because some jerkoff who has never served in combat thinks that I am mentally unfit because I did what I had to do and am suffering the consequences of survival. There is a reason that I go to therapy twice a week, and it isn't because I was told that I had to, I choose to go, because I know it helps.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Nova_C
This isn't even really a right to bear arms problem. It's a veteran abandonment problem, one that affects us all. There is simply not enough support given to veterans who come back from the trauma of war a changed person.

Rich: A judge CAN choose which rights you have. A judge can send you to prison, can confiscate property, can take your children away. A judge can take away your right to vote. By your definition, the only nation that has 'rights' is a lawless one.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Aozora
It's a shame that this is happening. I'm a psychologist, and in my last job we worked on a self-help manual for Soldiers suffering from post-deployment issues, including PTSD. So I became really aware of what a huge problem it really is, and just how much it's being ignored and misunderstood.

PTSD doesn't make for violence any more than ADHD makes for violence. People just see "mental disorder" and think "omg crazies they gonna kill us all." This is the kind of thing we need to fight, NOT the veterans!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
tsst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
... A judge CAN choose which rights you have. A judge can send you to prison, can confiscate property, can take your children away. A judge can take away your right to vote. By your definition, the only nation that has 'rights' is a lawless one.
Incorrect a judge can take none of those things without cause.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Nova_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsst View Post
Incorrect a judge can take none of those things without cause.
Uh, where did I say the judge can do it without cause? A judge cannot take away Outcast's right to bear arms without cause as well. The contention is what constitutes cause.

My point stands.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
This isn't even really a right to bear arms problem. It's a veteran abandonment problem, one that affects us all. There is simply not enough support given to veterans who come back from the trauma of war a changed person.

Rich: A judge CAN choose which rights you have. A judge can send you to prison, can confiscate property, can take your children away. A judge can take away your right to vote. By your definition, the only nation that has 'rights' is a lawless one.
Then I hope you see the issue I am trying to bring to light.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Nova_C
I'm afraid I don't. Can you elaborate?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google