• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My right to bear arms is under fire right now.

I agreee with SOME of your post, Michael, but not all...

It is true that we all have different socio-economic, geographical, cultural, and educational circumstances, even within the same country. And that a Michigan resident has certain different laws to follow than, say, Colorado, which just legalized marijuana. BUT - we are all subject to the same FEDERAL laws. And we do share SOME cultural similarities due to watching many of the same TV shows, reading the same newspapers (which pretty near all belong to Gannett and use the same AP reporters). Of course, some in other countries read those same stories and watch those TV shows, too. And while we can't all walk in each others' shoes, we do all pay into the tax pot that supports all of those laws, infrastructure, social support, etc. Even those who pay no income tax have to pay some sales tax, gasoline taxes, etc. So we all have at least "some skin in the game". That is why I believe it IS relevant for anyone who paid any of those taxes to have some say in how they are spent, whether it is for national defense or for free phones for the poor. You don't have to have been in the military or have been poor to want a voice in how your tax money is spent, IMO.

OTOH, I think it is REALLY VALUABLE to hear opinions from those who are less directly involved in our own problems, and who have had input from other news sources, cultures, etc. We have quite a few members here from Canada, UK, and Netherlands, among other countries. They have found things that work, and don't work, in their own countries. For example, I remember reading a number of years ago that Chile had privatized its social security program and it worked so well that countries all over the world were sending representatives to study it. Because it worked in Chile does not mean it will work here, in Europe, or anywhere else. But it certainly means that others should check it out carefully and see if the system in Chile could be tweaked for their own country, before dismissing it just because Chile is different than another country.

It is my thought that non-US citizens CAN provide valuable perspectives "outside the box" to contrast our usual way of thinking. Maybe they can even provoke us to think about the issue in a way we haven't thought about previously, and solve some of our problems in an unusual way. We can't presume that solutions that worked in another country will automatically work here. But neither should we dismiss such ideas out of hand just because they didn't originate with our own well tried, but not always successful, usual methods of operation here.

I often don't agree with much of many posts by Nova or even Michael, although I can often find SOMETHING in them that is useful, or that I can agree with. But I like to read each post anew, and test my thinking to see which points seem true or relevant, and which don't. While I usually find myself agreeing more with conservatives than liberals, I rarely find myself in total agreement with either, lol! But sometimes those who disagree with you can challenge you to think more, and provide more insight, than those who DO agree with you. IMHO, of course!

... Bottom line, we are all a product of our circumstance/environment. Our location, culture, etc.., these are all factors in our lives that make us who we are, that are completely outside of our control. And in more than one way, we will all be a victim of that circumstance..
I simply don't prescribe to the notion we are a product of our environment or situation. If that were factual we would still be in caves and grunting.
:nope:

I simply don't prescribe to the notion we are a product of our environment or situation. If that were factual we would still be in caves and grunting.
Agreed. If it were true no-one would ever be the first in their family to get a degree, take up sports, marry across racial boundaries, move to a different country, and so on. We'd all confirm to our little closed communities' boundaries, never grow, change or surprise ourselves. What a bleak world view!

Yeah, true that.

Otherwise why aren't my brothers and I all EXACTLY the same? Which we DEFINITELY are not. Matter of fact, we are nowhere NEAR being alike.

Well...he DID say that those were "factors". I can't see how we can deny that those factors at least COLOR how we think and what we do. MANY of us will rise above those limitations, though sadly, many won't. But I do believe that early upbringing and the circumstances we experienced will always be an important foundation upon which we hopefully build upon to become more than JUST how and where we were born. But important factors, nonetheless.

Of course we are not a complete imitation of our environment, but we are unquestionably a product of it. Everything in our environment has an affect on us. Sometimes good, other times bad. Point being, it's impossible to project our experience onto someone who comes from a different environment.

And as far as this conversation goes, you're actually making my initial point. If Nova were just Canadian, he wouldn't be able to have learned about American culture/politics as he has. Which was the WHOLE point to my post. If it weren't for people adopting principles/beliefs outside of their environment, we would all still be cave men. But some of us focus more heavily on being diverse, despite our environment. And the message, as I saw it, was that Nova should be restricted to only discussing his geographical environment, because he couldn't possibly understand the inner workings of a system outside of his environment (US politics). And on that basis, it's a contradiction to the fact that we ALL speak on environments/experiences that aren't our own. So if it's wrong of Nova, it's wrong of just about every person who posts under these threads.

Meanwhile, in Gainesville Florida: I just heard on the news that a woman, taking a shower today, heard her dog barking. When she came out, she saw a man had opened her patio door and had one foot in. She obtained her firearm and fired warning shots, and the man took off. She chased after him, and managed to grab his shoe as he went over the fence. Rightfully, she didn't shoot him as he was fleeing.

So- do you think the cops could have gotten there fast enough to save her? Or was she responsible for saving herself?

I preface this with: Someone entering your home uninvited means that you can and should defend yourself. No question.

That said, there's not enough information in what you posted, Nanci, to say whether she did the right thing or not, or whether the same outcome might have happened had she not reached for her firearm.

Again, I'm not saying she was in the wrong to make that decision. Clearly she felt threatened and felt it was warranted. She didn't shoot the guy in the back.

But did the guy coming into the house also have a weapon? Did he advance on her? Did he threaten in any way other than to step inside her house? Did he refuse to leave until she went for her firearm? Did he break into her house, or did he simply open the door and walk in?

I haven't seen the story, obviously, so I don't know all the details. It may be possible that the guy would have turned and bolted had she -not- had a firearm available and fired warning shots.

If this man intended to harm her then, no, you're right, the odds of police being able to intervene are extremely slim.

(I have had someone just open the front door on my house and try to walk in. It's less terrifying than a moment of WTF. In my circumstance, there was no intended harm. The guy coming in was lost and confused. I now keep my front door locked even when I'm in the house. My point being, there's more than one reason why someone might walk in to someone else's house.)

Again, I'm not saying she did something wrong. But would the story have ended differently without the presence of a firearm? We can't know.

"...But did the guy coming into the house also have a weapon? Did he advance on her? Did he threaten in any way other than to step inside her house? Did he refuse to leave until she went for her firearm? Did he break into her house, or did he simply open the door and walk in?..."

Actually, I don't think those questions are all that relevant. If somebody steps into your house (especially a stranger), I think you should assume that it is likely he wants to either harm you, or steal something. Whether your door is locked or not, if he is so confused that he doesn't know he is not in his own house, then I would also fear he might be on some sort of drugs, or in a state to harm you - if that wasn't his intention in the first place. If you wait to have a conversation as to his intentions, or to see if he has a weapon, it may be too late.

I am not advocating to shoot anything that moves without question. But arming yourself preemptively when a stranger walks into your house, and chasing him away, seems only logical to me - no matter what his true intentions were.

That's fair, Kathy, and you're right. Waiting to have a conversation isn't the smart first approach either. I promise you, I didn't calmly ask the guy, confused or not, why he'd come inside.

In a thread about the right to bear arms being taken away, I assumed that the story was posted to suggest that people need to have guns to defend themselves because the police are often ineffective. I don't agree completely with that idea, but I should also not have assumed, or posted without really thinking that through.

Apologies to all for my assumptions.

Meanwhile, in Gainesville Florida: I just heard on the news that a woman, taking a shower today, heard her dog barking. When she came out, she saw a man had opened her patio door and had one foot in. She obtained her firearm and fired warning shots, and the man took off. She chased after him, and managed to grab his shoe as he went over the fence. Rightfully, she didn't shoot him as he was fleeing.

So- do you think the cops could have gotten there fast enough to save her? Or was she responsible for saving herself?

If the 911 call was something to the effect that a naked woman was running around the neighborhood chasing a burglar, I think the cops would have broken all overland speed records getting there. :laugh:

That said, there's not enough information in what you posted, Nanci, to say whether she did the right thing or not, or whether the same outcome might have happened had she not reached for her firearm.

Again, I'm not saying she was in the wrong to make that decision. Clearly she felt threatened and felt it was warranted. She didn't shoot the guy in the back.

But did the guy coming into the house also have a weapon? Did he advance on her? Did he threaten in any way other than to step inside her house? Did he refuse to leave until she went for her firearm? Did he break into her house, or did he simply open the door and walk in?

I haven't seen the story, obviously, so I don't know all the details. It may be possible that the guy would have turned and bolted had she -not- had a firearm available and fired warning shots.

If this man intended to harm her then, no, you're right, the odds of police being able to intervene are extremely slim.

(I have had someone just open the front door on my house and try to walk in. It's less terrifying than a moment of WTF. In my circumstance, there was no intended harm. The guy coming in was lost and confused. I now keep my front door locked even when I'm in the house. My point being, there's more than one reason why someone might walk in to someone else's house.)

Again, I'm not saying she did something wrong. But would the story have ended differently without the presence of a firearm? We can't know.

Then you got damn lucky.

Entering a residence that you do not live in is reason enough for the homeowner to take action. That does not mean shooting someone, but it may mean showing force of resistance.

I'm not going to stop to ask, "are you armed? What is your intent? Could you leave?" Hell no. They came into MY house. They do not belong there and there can not possibly be a good reason for them to be there.

4 years ago a man broke into my house in the middle of the day. I was home sick, he saw my car in the driveway and STILL elected to kick in the front door. I met him coming down the hall by pointing a shot gun in his face. I ordered him to back up and not to take another step forward. He dropped to his knees and I backed him all the way out on to the front porch. I did not shoot, but I very well could have, he was armed with two large combat knives. My neighbor called the cops and I held him at gun point until they got there.

I work with the police everyday single day and even the most harden cop will tell you straight out, "when seconds count, the police are minutes away."

I have two kids to protect. I am not going to stop and assume that someone breaking into my house has any other reason than to harm me or my children. I will meet them with the barrel of my gun first before any questions are asked.

The average response time is 8 mins here in my city. That is 8 mins too long when it comes to protecting my family.

I also make damn sure everyone in my house knows gun safety as well as how to fire a gun with precision and accuracy.

The late James Q. Wilson had some great quotes along these lines, essentially that gun control is only effective for those citizens that attend to the LAW, and hence inneffective at disarming those it is directed towards.

That being said, even if we are to protect guns, there is still a need to rethink the culture of guns. If one is able to try and extricate oneself from this particular American moment and mentality, and as a simple exercise, walk into a gun shop with an open mind (or perhaps a slant -- a European mindset?), it is fair to say that there exists a certain paranoia, and at times, other violent and often xenophobic undertones in most conversations. I don't mean to judge... only to objectively describe.

Well...he DID say that those were "factors". I can't see how we can deny that those factors at least COLOR how we think and what we do. MANY of us will rise above those limitations, though sadly, many won't. But I do believe that early upbringing and the circumstances we experienced will always be an important foundation upon which we hopefully build upon to become more than JUST how and where we were born. But important factors, nonetheless.
Factors and coloring make sense. But in the end I believe it is up to the individual as to whether those factors control them or motivate them. Wise as always Kathy.

I also agree upbringing plays a larger roll in how we develope. Someone brought up hearing guns are bad will be more likely to continue believing that. Someone taught that guns should be strictly controlled and the constitutional freedom therein should be infringed will most likely continue pushing that agenda. Someone told growing up that big gov should take care of us will be more likely to expect that to happen. Someone ingrained with the belief that working hard to earn what you get in life will be more likely to continue on that path. Someone taught that free stuff from the gov is actually free will be more likely to seek the free stuff. Etc etc. Again though IMHO it is up to the individual as to whether that upbringing controls them or motivates them or in some cases is ignored by them.

By the way Kathy, I love reading your posts as they almost always make me stop and think.

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES.... LOL
Well yeah silly. Illegal drugs and the 20,000 gun laws already in existance are proof that another law and more control are EXACTLY what we need to fix everything! /sarcasm ;)

You know, if you put enough band aids on something, you can't move it any more... Unfortunately, it won't keep it from getting infected and causing harm...

You know, if you put enough band aids on something, you can't move it any more... Unfortunately, it won't keep it from getting infected and causing harm...

Are you referring to a mummy? One year for Halloween I wanted to be a mummy, I got in trouble the next day because I used all the T.P. for my costume, and when the house guests went to wipe they were out of luck. I didn't even get much candy that year; for some reason most of the houses didn't have any sympathy for an 18 year old kid wrapped in Charmin.

Are you referring to a mummy? One year for Halloween I wanted to be a mummy, I got in trouble the next day because I used all the T.P. for my costume, and when the house guests went to wipe they were out of luck. I didn't even get much candy that year; for some reason most of the houses didn't have any sympathy for an 18 year old kid wrapped in Charmin.

LOL !

Authorities say at least 26 people, including 18 children, were killed Friday when a gunman opened fire inside a Connecticut elementary school.

How very SAD :(

Back