CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Chocolate" corn?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Flagg
"Chocolate" corn?

One of the few corn snake breeders at the local reptile show (allanimalexpo.com) was selling one labeled as a "chocolate" corn.
It was very brown, perhaps a caramel hatchling. The guy has a lot of corns but he doesn't seem to know the naming conventions very well, so he couldn't really tell me anything about the genetics of it.

Anyone have any idea what it is, or heard of a chocolate corn?

I've tried various searches but all that seems to come up is the word chocolate in a description of caramel coloring.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Susan
All I can think of, other than a very poor name for a caramel, is that it's a hybrid, probably something similar to a rootbeer. I'm always cautious when dealing with a "breeder", especially with alot of corns, that doesn't know the morph names or genetics of what he/she breeds.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Joejr14
There are such things as chocolate emoryi......

Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
Flagg
Thanks, I asked him if it might be a hybrid, and he didn't know that either, but said it might be. It's wierd he seems to have most of them labeled correctly, but just doesn't really know the genetics. Like he breeds crimson corns and told me he only just discovered that they were hypo miamis. There also seems to be little knowledge of the difference between locality, selectively bred and genetic types.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
lajes
Talking

Chocolate was first the name for a Lavender if iīm informed right and also a "waste product" by trying to breed creamsicles!
But today itīs a name for a "melanistic" emory someone caught in kansas in 1990 i think so i think itīs been an emory!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajes
Chocolate was first the name for a Lavender if iīm informed right and also a "waste product" by trying to breed creamsicles!
But today itīs a name for a "melanistic" emory someone caught in kansas in 1990 i think so i think itīs been an emory!
I believe lavenders were originally called "mocha".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
I KNEW I had heard the term used with something not a cornsnake, but close! Thanks Joe!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
starsevol
Aren't rootbeers the "waste products" when trying to breed creamsicles?

Lavenders were first bred by Rich Z in 1985, if memory serves.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Yes, isn't this a Don S creation or at least something he works with?

This is from Don's website at South mountain reptiles.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
Aren't rootbeers the "waste products" when trying to breed creamsicles?
Well, I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder. I'm not into most creamsicles, but I love the rootbeer look...

Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
starsevol
I don't really like hybrids myself but I have 2 rootbeers, mother and daughter. I won the mother in a raffle at a herp club meeting and had her for several years before realizing that the person who bred her had a collection consisting almost entirely of creamsicles. Then I saw a pic of a rootbeer and it looked just like my Katie! The daughter, Keeper. looks like a pure corn with alot of red. She is the very first corn I ever hatched. She will be 9 years old this year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google