• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A day at the stables

Congrats Ben... Merlin totally should have won!! Im biased too, and I've never even met Merlin..lol... Besides he stables with Joe, so who couldnt love him... And look at the horses in the pic.. the one on the left doesnt have any coulor.. what a jip. At least you got the experiance and Merlin got all the attention.

Kim was a bit upset, as Merlin's class was ridden, that some of the horses and ponies that did get rosettes did not show their gaits properly when asked, refusing to trot or canter as required, but that was supposed to weight 65% of their points. It was a big class, with 19 entries and varied from hairy cobs, to cobs with hogged manes and feathers cut off, to sports horse types.
Merlin struck off on the right leg every time and didn't break out of gait once. He behaved really well and actually stayed clean too!

This week's visit to the stables was a 2-day affair, with highs and lows. On Monday I had a lovely morning helping with the horses, and took some nice photos of wildflowers and bugs.

Attachments

• 14a.JPG
    14a.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 15a.JPG
    15a.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 17a.JPG
    17a.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 19a.JPG
    19a.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 107
Then I met the new pony Kim had arranged for me to ride, and it did not go well. Poor Midnight is a 19-yr old, with arthritis and prone to laminitis, on a limited feed regime and her owner is too heavy to ride her. Various teenage riders grow out of her, so she's had a succession of riders of varying ability.
I had been suggested as a good match for her. But as soon as I got on her in the school, it was like sitting on a fence post, because she's so slender. She had her ears laid flat the whole time and did not want to go above a walk for more than a couple of paces. I felt cruel to even ask her.
I was told to use 'more leg', or basically to kick her, and I wouldn't. I got off, led her around and groomed her, then settled her back in her stable without even a hay net, because she's not allowed one. Both Kim and the owner of the yard Midnight's stabled in were trying to convince me she'd be a good pony for me to learn on, I disagreed. The experience left me deflated and upset. I was told off for being 'too soft'.

Attachments

• 22a.JPG
    22a.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 107
Then I went with Kim to watch her school some horses for her clients, and cheered myself up by feeding the chickens there, These 2 handsome roosters (the pale one is dominant) have a flock of lovely chickens to look after, and there are 4 growing on chicks too.
After Kim's schooling sessions, one of the riders there asked if I'd like to hack out on a nice cob. I'd been telling her how my earlier lesson had been such a failure, but she's seen me ride Ben and thought she had a good match for me.
I didn't have a chance to get a picture of Pie, but he was perfect! We went out for an hour through the woods at walk and trot. He's very safe and sensible, went up and down the gears as I asked him to, and fits me like a glove! He's in his 20s, but the picture of health, fit and active and absolutely a joy to ride:cheers:

Attachments

• 26a.JPG
    26a.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 28a.JPG
    28a.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 106
I stayed at my friend Cathy's overnight, because we were all going to a funeral in the afternoon. So a 7 30 start to the day, mainly poo-picking. Kim had a dressage lesson on Merlin, I went and had fun with some of the newly in-foal mares who are on grass there. I was trying to clear their field to save time for Kim, but they decided to make it a social affair, coming up for cuddles and scratching and overseeing my work. One benefit of the early start was seeing this young fox catch a rabbit

Attachments

• 30a.JPG
    30a.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 106
Fantastic flora and fauna pics.
I find it odd that you would be thought of as soft for not causing more pain for the pony. I had a neighbor with 2 horses, one with laminitis. They had to stop riding her eventually. The vet (farrier?) did x-rays and put special shoes on her with an extra piece in the middle. It was like support shoes I guess, but they said it still caused pain even with the shoes.

I was told that the pony was 'taking advantage' because I wouldn't kick her to make her go faster. She did amble slowly around the school and managed a couple of short bursts of trot. Her ears were laid back the whole time and she was really tensed up, which seemed to me to indicate she was perhaps in pain. Although I'd been told having a light rider would be good exercise for her, she was withdrawn and 'dull' even whilst being led.
As my aim is to be able to hack out safely on a quiet pony and enjoy the experience, I've told Kim that I'll never get on Midnight again under any circumstances. I'd rather not ride than cause pain or misery. She can tell the yard owner whatever she likes, and if it causes problems I won't go to that yard with her again.

I've had a fantastic weekend, staying at my friend Cathy's house, spending quality time with the ponies! It's been so hot we had to put sunblock on Coconuts' nose so she didn't burn.
Luna is 7 weeks old now, and her face is moulting to a new, grey colour! She's almost as tall as Nuts now, and so friendly that it's hard to get pictures without her getting too close!
Today we had an extended grooming and play session, and I had a nice ride on Joey. No tack, just a rope halter. He behaved impeccably, we practised sitting trot. It's the first time I've ridden bareback since I got broken, it was really satisfying to find I've still got my 'seat' and balance. Joey's gaits are so smooth it was like getting a back massage.
Before coming home we took the setters out for a nice walk too.

Attachments

• 8a.JPG
    8a.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 95
  • 25a.JPG
    25a.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 15a.JPG
    15a.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 5a.JPG
    5a.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 95
I'm loving the photos! I'm learning to ride as well... trying to master cantering but some horses ain't having it! Apparantly I'm too soft and need to take control... I'd love to have a hack/ day-trek again.

The babies are so cute (foal and kittens)! I love babies!

More nice horse pics! I like the purple sunblock, it looks good on Coconuts.
I have never ridden a horse that way (I mean bareback, not with a pink dress and helmet) I would think it would feel better than a saddle once you get used to staying on.

I have never ridden a horse that way (I mean bareback, not with a pink dress and helmet)

Um alan.... if i read this right :p you have never ridden bareback, but you have ridden in a pink dress and helmet?? oh, this should be a good story... :poke:

For the first 10 months or so of my re-learning to ride, I wasn't allowed a saddle at all on Cathy's ponies! It's just about the best way of developing a good balance and feel for the horses' movement, as long as you can trust the horse enough to relax. Before I got broken at work I was jumping over cavaletti on Nuts without a saddle. As well as no saddle, it was nice to direct Joe with just the rope halter and shifts in body position rather than bridle and bit. The theory behind that is to keep you from being heavy-handed when you do use a bridle, because you won't rely on hanging on the reins for balance or pulling on the pony's mouth for brakes and steering.
So, Alan, any pictures of you with your riding dress on?:roflmao:

I should be having more fun on Joe over the summer, Cathy's had her eyesight laser corrected and isn't allowed to ride for 2 months. Joe's got a bit fat because he's been on rich grazing, and needs the exercise, so I'll be popping up on him a bit more regularly. Sitting him bareback is much more fun than formal lessons!
I'm going over to the stables with Kim on Thursday, don't know if I'll get to ride or not, there's always so much work to do that I don't always get the chance if she's too busy.

I love this thread! I get excited whenever I see it pop up. I love horses company, I wish I could be around them more often. The stable you visit looks like heaven.
Unfortunately I am allergic to horses, something I learned in the past few years. I haven't been allergic all my life though, and I'm hoping some day it will go away. I blame my parents for never allowing me to ride or go to horse camp when I was younger despite my constant pleas!

Didn't see Merlin this week, and just going into a heavy schedule of night shifts, so time with Kim at the stables will have to wait, unfortunately. This weekend though, I spent at Cathy's, so lots of time with the ponies. The stallion didn't get his grading, so Lola probably won't make her selling price (secret hurrah!) so Cathy has offered to let her and her mum stay on her grazing with ?Luna and Nuts rather than be moved back to the stables.
Both foals are moulting out their first coat, and changing colour. Luna is changing from her bay/dun colouring into a very dark grey like the stallion. Her new coat is coming through as a mixture of black, silver and red! Luna is getting more patches of roan showing.

Attachments

• 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 16a.JPG
    16a.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 35a.JPG
    35a.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20a.JPG
    20a.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 72
Two firsts for Luna. Cathy's been slowly introducing her to her rope halter, progressing to willingly putting her nose in it. On Monday she put it on properly for the first time, only to find it's too small! The farrier came out to trim hooves. Luna was very good, letting him pick her feet up for the first time and pretend to rasp them.

Attachments

• 64a.JPG
    64a.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 67a.JPG
    67a.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 58a.JPG
    58a.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 59a.JPG
    59a.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
Before the farrier's visit, had a grooming session with Megan and Joe. Megan's softened up a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the attention. I'll miss her when she moves off to different grazing or back to the stables. Had some play time with her, because she can tend to barge and not respect your personal space. So I was gently driving away or moving her aside, letting her come back in a more polite fashion and rewarding her with more grooming.
Had a lovely play session with Joe, first some groundwork weaving in and out of barrels, then attempted the same bareback with his hackamore. Joe decided he didn't want to and took me for a couple of circuits of the field instead! I gradually got him to listen to my directions, but I need more practise! At least he didn't offer to buck or bolt, I was in no danger of falling off him, but we're a work in progress.....

Back