CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Box Turtle Enclosure: Progression Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #61
Nanci
The next thing is running drip irrigation into the beds but it's too sunny out now. I also think I'm going to set that first 4x4 into the ground and put another one on top of it- I think that bed's too shallow, but I don't want to go up another level- that would be like building the boxies a staircase!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #62
ghosthousecorns
Wow you work fast!
I wish it was too sunny over here. I love doing drip irrigation...

Old 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #63
ZoologyMajor
I love this progression thread. Isabel is just too cute for words!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #64
Nanci
Things are slowing down now because I need things I can't find locally, like pond liner, or can't quite afford yet, like the solar pump. I didn't run my drip line yet because I want to go look for some shut-off valves and maybe some soaker line for the gardens.

Still, I did get the first row of the garden nailed down, but changed my mind and used rebar, so now I have to go buy more for the second row.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #65
Nanci
Isabel had a nice sun bath, but then got freaked out and went running all about the pen, stopping right where I wanted to be drilling. So I put her in the drill's purse, and she loved it!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #66
Nanci
Besides that, I got three sun shades hung this morning. They make it SO DARK inside the house. That wall faces south, and the trees I planted to provide shade keep getting frost damage in the winter, so they aren't growing as fast as planned. The shades will really help- one of the racks was getting afternoon sun through it at an angle. Isabel's viv is right in front of another window, and Mr. Bird sits in the windowsill of the third. I can keep his rolled up about 8" so he can still see out. Obviously a trailer doesn't have nice thick insulation like a "real" house, and my AC struggles, so I am hoping this will make a big difference. Or even a small difference.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #67
Jrgh17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Besides that, I got three sun shades hung this morning. They make it SO DARK inside the house. That wall faces south, and the trees I planted to provide shade keep getting frost damage in the winter, so they aren't growing as fast as planned. The shades will really help- one of the racks was getting afternoon sun through it at an angle. Isabel's viv is right in front of another window, and Mr. Bird sits in the windowsill of the third. I can keep his rolled up about 8" so he can still see out. Obviously a trailer doesn't have nice thick insulation like a "real" house, and my AC struggles, so I am hoping this will make a big difference. Or even a small difference.
I'm betting it will. My parents put a 'fake awning' on the south side of their house two summers ago. It's one of those cheaper ones that is plastic made to look like wood that can be added with a screwdriver. Since my dad put it up, I can't get him to shut up about how much lower the electric bill is in the summer.

Everything is looking wonderful! I'm curious... do you have a finished plan made out, or are you kinda going along slowly developing it?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #68
Nanci
I have a plan. 4x4 pond (actually a 2" deep vanishing fountain for the non-swimming turts!) in the middle, slightly to the south. Pile of logs in the NW corner. Some sort of rain shelter/hibernaculum in the NE corner. Garden along the south- the wall will protect it from the strongest sun. Some sort of shade pavillion maybe in the SW corner. Several small specimen trees. I saw a redbud at Lowes that I just fell in love with, but am going to comparison shop. I need two big leafy small trees for immediate shade. Then fill in with grasses- the types that made it through the winter at Fort Tort- lemon grass got huge, and did really well. The boxies are hard on foliage- they just plow right over it.

I found everything I need to complete the drip system- but now it's too hot out. After I run that, and get the second row of 4x4's in the garden nailed down, then I can fill the garden with soil. I'm going to try 1/4" drip line with drippers every 12", two lines for each tier. I found on/off valves so I can run the tort pen and the boxie pen separately, which will help with my water pressure. I'm going to try to put the valves in those plastic screw top things like they use to access septic tanks. Just hoping I can drill through that to make holes for the line to pass through. I also found 1/4" on/off valves so I can adjust the water going to the garden.

I'm going to feed the pond both from the boxie water line and from a different line that does all the trees in my backyard, so it will have two sources.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #69
Nanci
Done for the day. The garden is nailed down into the ground with two foot rebar, and the drip lines are run, as well as a line out to the future pond. That rope outlines the pond placement.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #70
Nanci
I drove to four garden centers this afternoon, trying to find a better small tree than the redbud I spotted this morning. There was none better, so I bought it! I did find some nice weeping mulberries, though...I also found a store that sold a pond liner nearly the size I need (I need 10x10, this was 10x12) and underlayment, so I guess the next thing is to start digging...See the garden filled with organic soil? Guess what it smells like! Poop! I need more...Oh, see the redbud- the tallish reddish tree?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google