CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Whats the deal!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #81
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Posting your political opinion on a cornsnake forum isn't really going to change the world and doesn't make everyone who does so a patriot and a freedom fighter. All it does is alienate others.
You ever wander if people that support the second amendment don't really care if they alienate members of a group that support taking away our rights to self defense and making us slaves to the ruling class? I don't mean the people on the fence - when need them to vote for freedom and not against it. I mean the people who see us as completely wrong and can't be corrected.

For example, I don't care if a member of PETA gets mad at me for deer hunting. They are already alienated from ME, so why do I care if they are alienating me in return?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #82
ghosthousecorns
I can't believe I am the only person who felt that that "good ol fashioned lynching" remark just went a bit far. There were so many other less harsh ways of saying that the current POTUS should be removed from administration. It;s one thing to have opinions in politics but when you phrase them carelessly you might lose your audience and end up with just the usual 3 or 4 yes men who always agree with you anyway.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #83
kathylove
Posting your political opinion on a cornsnake forum isn't really going to change the world and doesn't make everyone who does so a patriot and a freedom fighter. All it does is alienate others.

Not necessarily true! Your opinions will likely come from the aggregate of everything you see, hear, read, etc., over a long period of time, especially when you are young. If you are exposed to A LOT of a particular viewpoint, your own views will likely reflect that. That is exactly why the big corporations aim their commercials at children - win them over early, and they are more likely to be loyal, lifelong customers. It is not that different for proponents of a political ideology wanting to win over their customers, especially youngsters.

I bet there are a lot of CS members who never heard of a libertarian, but might have read about it in one or more discussions here. That does not mean that they will automatically BECOME one, but at least now they know there is such a thing, and it gives them options they didnt know they had. Conversely, if you see and hear the Right or Left arguments presented well, and often, you might be inclined to lean towards one of them.

So I have to disagree that people will not ever be influenced politically on a corn snake forum, or that it will always alienate them. Just depends on how it is presented, and received, at a particular time.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #84
ghosthousecorns
Well when even a mod of the forum feels the need to post a thread titled "stop the political BS" you know things were getting a little too heated. That thread by Dean a couple of days ago remember. Not that it was taken too seriously.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #85
KJUN
Quote:
I can't believe I am the only person who felt that that "good ol fashioned lynching" remark just went a bit far. There were so many other less harsh ways of saying that the current POTUS should be removed from administration. It;s one thing to have opinions in politics but when you phrase them carelessly you might lose your audience and end up with just the usual 3 or 4 yes men who always agree with you anyway.
I can't comment on that. I didn't see that particular post. However, I can think of some people that DO deserve to be "set to dance," so I can't say I disagree with the unseen post, either. For example, I know of some politicians in Athens, TN, in 1946 that SHOULD have seen a rope.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #86
Michael823
Quote:
I agree! It's really not a service to post your strict political views on a Corn Snakes site, and so far hasn't seemed to enlighten anyone to the cause. It's good to have a political debate occasionally for the feedback, or just to test the waters. But as someone who feels so strongly about their beliefs, it would be more effective to bring hope, and not divide those who disagree, as you will need the majority if you really believe in the American way.
Obama is our president for this very reason. People are all angry at his policy decisions, and sometimes just because he is who he is. But he has spent a lifetime of doing actual work in the communities, running for office, and offering hope and change, rather than expecting some armchair quarterbacking to get things done. People then get over their heads with talking him down, and even insinuating threats towards him. Sometimes the best way of fighting is with your mind, not your bold language and criticism of the opposition.
Brandishing guns in a public venue isn't bravely defending your rights, it is boldly defying the will of the majority with intimidation rather than intelligence. People would love to believe there will be this glorious day in which the citizens will revolt and take back the country, but fail to see that this will never happen, and they might as well use a more intangible approach to succeed. Paper soldiers are a dime a dozen, as well as e-soldiers. It's not about power and control, it's about winning over the majority with ideas, hope, and offers of change. Obama has done this, and done this brilliantly. I may not agree with every policy, but I sure know he was still the best pick, and I trust that he will leave this country better off than it was. If not, than it is only 3+years until the next election, and the people can reassess whether they would like him to be our leader once again.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #87
KJUN
Quote:
Well when even a mod of the forum feels the need to post a thread titled "stop the political BS" you know things were getting a little too heated. That thread by Dean a couple of days ago remember. Not that it was taken too seriously.
Because a moderator only moderates. He doesn't CONTROL what we can or can not say as long as it is within the guidelines of Rich's rules. (Notice the rules Dean broke in his own posts to show the humorous irony of the whole situation.) The post had no more authority than if you or I said it.

BUT, I'm sure Rich has never said anything about politicians needing to be handled roughly, so maybe that did cross the line......lol.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #88
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael823 View Post
it is boldly defying the will of the majority with intimidation rather than intelligence.
So in your opinion, should the will of the majority always rule?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #89
kathylove
I can't believe I am the only person who felt that that "good ol fashioned lynching" remark just went a bit far.

I don't remember that particular post. I am guessing they were saying it in jest, as a sort of exaggeration? I would never post anything like that, and would not really consider it funny, either. Although I would not consider it in good taste, neither would I censor it, as long as it is not a real call to action. I don't always agree with every post I see here, but I also haven't seen very many posts that truly upset me, either. They are just opinions, some more logical, some distasteful, some I agree with, some I don't.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #90
Michael823
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
I can't comment on that. I didn't see that particular post. However, I can think of some people that DO deserve to be "set to dance," so I can't say I disagree with the unseen post, either. For example, I know of some politicians in Athens, TN, in 1946 that SHOULD have seen a rope.
Not sure which politicians, but that was a different era. Back then there was prejudice and no clear fairness to the American way. Now it is fair, and elections are chosen at the people's discretion. Violence and threats is primitive in this day and age, because we all have the freedoms to choose our leader. No leader nowadays won due to prejudice, lack of a fair vote, etc... So if you don't like it either run for public office, or campaign harder in 2012'.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google