CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calls to boycott Arizona are spreading like a virus

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #61
airenlow
The main reason that I would never move back to AZ is that the place is SO darn crowded. If all these people are boycotting and leaving, I might have to start looking at property out there...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #62
wade
Tim, I am glad you chimed in. Your voice says volumes on this discussion. I have Mexican nationals that work for me. They have resident alien cards, that look like a drivers license. It is not big bulky documentation. I carry a drivers license and am required to present it to any policeman that asks for it. This is not a big deal.

There are hundreds of thousands of legal Mexicans in Arizona. There are not enough police to go running around trying to ruin the day of everyone with a sun tan. You guys are worrying the sky is falling.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #63
susang
So we go to AZ to visit bro, what exactly does hubby have to carry to prove citizenship? Now I know Wade will say well if you don't do anything wrong don't worry. So now; my what if hubby is weeding bro's front yard in grubby clothes and the police come along, are they compelled to ask for his proof of citizenship.
At this point I don't know who or what to believe.
I do agree with Ms Z we won't be visiting AZ anytime soon, 5+2=7

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #64
airenlow
I'll go back...7-1=6

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #65
wade
The police are going to need probable cause to approach your husband. I can imagine circumstances where someone might be innocently looking suspicious. Say you go to a movie and take a short cut through an alley late at night. The police ask what you are doing there, ask for ID. That is the way it has always been, I have been in that situation myself. I tell the officer why I am in an alley late at night and show him my ID. End of story. Nothing has changed.

Susan, I am sorry that has upset you so much. I won't be spending any late nights walking around Nogalas right now either because it is not safe. But it is not the police I worry about. It is the human trafficking and drug traffic and high crime rate that scares me. If I lived there I would be up in arms demanding that my government do something about it.

Wait a few months, watch how this develops. You can be sure if there is even the tiniest infraction it will be on the front page. There will be reporters sticking microphones in the faces of every brown skinned person for the next six months. Watch and decide for your self. But don't loose sleep over your concerns until they have proven justified.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #66
Emanon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
THIS is a good point. But the law is still worded poorly. Reasonable suspicion is far too broad. Dangerously broad as it gives cops, who in my experience tend to be people who often feel stressed and overwhelmed by all the crud they have to deal with each day, a reason to act upon subconscious prejudices.

As a teenager I encountered a cop who apparently strongly disliked women. He was rude and condescending to both me and my mother, and refused to help us or dust for fingerprints... even though I'd been stalked for a month and someone tried to break into the house when it was just me there. And his "excuse" was that because it was 3 hours post event before I called the cops that it was probably just a dispute with my boyfriend and I was lying. In truth, I had been hiding in my closet with a knife, basically cowering in terror. But no, a 17 year old wouldn't be terrified of a guy banging on the windows and pulling on the doors, right?
these can also be called instincts from being on the job and seeing crime purportrated by the same types of people every day... I am not saying colors only but colors as well... in my area the bulk of the crime is from drug users and kids... they are profiled all the time... because it is them who are doing the crime. You have a lack of trust from your event with the police... I have had some events too but I trust the police more than I distrust them. There are some people who just suck at their job and they are going to muff it up no matter what it is... we cannot make laws so week as to not allow the normal police to do the good job they are doing.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #67
The_Thunderer
Another great post, Wade!!! There is no justification to immediately assume that every cop is gonna stop brown skinned people (remember I AM one) every time they see one. Talk about over-reacting...

As for paperwork... I might be wrong, but isn't every state's ID card proof of legality here in the US? Social security card? Vehicle registration in your name? What's the big deal about "all the paperwork"? That stuff can fit in my wallet! Some are acting like they'll have to bring a file cabinet to prove their citizenship... so untrue... IF they get stopped in the first place. (I'm checking, but it seems that the incident in the video provided by desertanimal below was done by the Border Patrol at a weigh station... not the police. However, if it did happen as described, it IS a travesty and it was handled wrong.).

The fact is, if you don't live here, you'll never understand. Yes, people die every day... but at least the law can DO something about that. BUT, if you have a farm on the border and an illegal immigrant kills you as he passes through, the law's hands are tied?

Josh, you come on back. We'd love to have you AND your vote back.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #68
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Wait a few months, watch how this develops. You can be sure if there is even the tiniest infraction it will be on the front page. There will be reporters sticking microphones in the faces of every brown skinned person for the next six months. Watch and decide for your self. But don't loose sleep over your concerns until they have proven justified.
Truck driver arrested today. Starts at 1:10. Both of these brown people lost work time today. I will be pissed if I get arrested someday for not carrying my birth certificate.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #69
Tara80
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal View Post
Truck driver arrested today. Starts at 1:10. Both of these brown people lost work time today. I will be pissed if I get arrested someday for not carrying my birth certificate.
That's weird, what is that site? Very rarely do I get an 'access denied' here at work- which I just got when I clicked on that.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #70
wade
I am surprised to hear that already Steph. The law doesn't even go into effect until Saturday. I still have faith in the Law Enforcement people, much more so than I do in the News Media. I'm going to hold my judgement until I hear more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google