CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Caramel Blood Reds

Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Rich Z
Thumbs up Caramel Blood Reds

Actually had some breeding activity last night. Kind of early, but they are all shedding their skins like crazy so I figured I would try a few. Out of around 18 pairs, five of them mated. Among them was this fine looking couple of Caramel Blood Reds.

I'll be honest about it, these turned out to be a WHOLE LOT more interesting looking than I thought they would turn out. They actually look attractive in person, with a rather different look about them. I'm glad I didn't just dump the whole lot of them as I had originally considered doing....

Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Rich in KY
They are stunning!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Those are waaaay cool. I have not been super-impressed with most of the younger ones I've seen. Either yours are just superior, or the morph generally gets better with age.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Joejr14
Hmm, planning on selling any this year?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Rich Z
I'm hoping the Amber Blood Reds I am growing up develop into something interesting as well. I guess you just never know about this stuff and how projects will turn out. Does kind of have you pulling your hair out when you realize that you really have to keep ALL the babies for several years before making the cut on them.......

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14 View Post
Hmm, planning on selling any this year?
Yeah, I think I might do that. I think I have a few adult females on the breeding roster this year.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Walter Smith
WOW, nice Rich.
That one with the darker coloration, is there any chance of Lavender in it's bloodline? Just curious.

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
WOW, nice Rich.
That one with the darker coloration, is there any chance of Lavender in it's bloodline? Just curious.

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!
I wouldn't say it is impossible, since Murphy's Law has always been a major influence in my life, but I would say very highly unlikely.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I wouldn't say it is impossible, since Murphy's Law has always been a major influence in my life, but I would say very highly unlikely.
I hear ya bud. Just curious because those are like no other Caramel Bloodred I've seen. Sure looks like there is something else going on there for sure.

Would be cool if there IS another color trait being expressed there. Kinda looks what you would think a Caramel Lavender or even Caramel Anery/Charcoal would look like........

Either way, they sure are unique looking !!!

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Rich Z
Actually the Caramel Lavenders I have look nothing at all like these guys. But in like fashion they look like nothing at all special until they get some maturity to them. This is going to get to being a pain in the butt having a bunch of projects where you can't see results until the animals are a couple of years old.......

As for a Caramel/Anery/Charcoal, I doubt I have any of those, but I suspect they would be difficult to pick out of a barrel full of just regular Anerythristics.

Now I'm not saying at all that ALL of my Caramel Blood Reds will turn out looking like this pair. Not enough data at this point. If I remember correctly, the target for the parentage that created these was actually Butter Blood Red, which I haven't been very successful with. I believe I only have one, to date, and these were just byproduct.

Checking out the new breeders is always a fun time. I get to look closely at some animals that I haven't even seen for a couple of years. I looked into one cage and thought I had just another Blizzard, but the color was slightly wrong. Then I noticed the black eyes...... Well, I know what the genes of the parentage is, but not sure why something like that one came out of the mix.

On the other hand, this is the time of year when I discover that I have a bunch of orphaned breeders. In other words, males or females with no mates containing the same genetic mix needed. And I have around 50 females I may not be able to breed this year simply because I ran out of larger cages for them...... I needed to sell off at least another 100 adults last Winter..........

Man, I LOVE seeing the new babies, but the work load gets harder and harder to face every year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google