CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake first aid to keep on hand?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
DandelionDeity
Snake first aid to keep on hand?

I'm trying to plan for what I'll need in case my snake needs first aid before a vet visit or in an emergency. Is there any you would suggest? Right now I have Carnivore Care and Bene Bac plus: bird and reptile powder in my shopping list. What do you guys keep on hand for your snake(s)?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
certainly not band-aids. LOL

I've had 5 different snakes over the past 41 years, and I've only had to carry 1 to a vet for a respiratory infection. Not sure what you mean by "First Aid."

There's not a lot you can do for a snake that is sick or injured. The best thing to do is see a vet as soon as possible.

You can boost the temp a few degrees if you detect a respiratory infection (bad cold). If you catch it in time, you might be able to avoid a vet visit. Some of the folks here use "Nutri Bac" after a regurge, but I've never had a snake to regurgitate, so I don't have any of that stuff either. Sometimes mites can be a problem, but mites don't just appear out of nowhere. They are usually brought in on the snake undetected. So if your snake has mites, it probably already had them all along. There are some sprays you can use, but some of that stuff is poison. Snakes soak in water to drown mites in the wild, so if you provide a large enough water bowl for your snake to soak in, he will take care of the mites himself. The big problem for you will be to completely clean the cage and make sure all the mites in the cage are gone.

And I can't say enough for Cleanliness. Most of the time when people have a sick snake it's due to incorrect temps or dirty caging.

I do supplement with reptile vitamins 1 feeding per month. But I don't really consider that first aid, and a lot of the folks around here will try to scold you for doing that. I just don't care what they think or say.

If you haven't already, find a vet that specializes in Reptile care, and go ahead and carry your snake in for a wellness check. They will enter him/her into the system, and then if you ever need a vet, you'll have someone familiar already to go to.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Dragonling
For just about any pet it's wise to keep some triple antibiotic on hand for cuts and scrapes. Make sure it's the regular kind without pain meds added.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google