CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New snake hiding, not moving and not feeding

Old 10-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
Hi that makes her 4 months old am I right
The shed maybe why she is not eating
Is the viv very big ?
Cos it might be to much space
What I did when I had George he was 9 weeks when we had him
I left him in is box inside the viv
I fed him in it I put a hide in there and a water dish
Then after 3 months I put him in the big viv
But I still use a feed box to feed him
Hope that helps
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi . Four months, yes that's right. It was the shed. Friday night she shed and tonight Sunday, I offered a pinky and she grabbed it in seconds . She fed in the viv and she's been moving about more too. I think she quite likes her new home .

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
You state she is 4 months old. I have not seen any post(s) giving her length or weight. It's possible for a 4 month old corn snake to be 13 inches long and weigh 15 grams or it could be 20 inches long and weigh 70 grams.

The reason I say this is because every corn snake is different, just like people, and they grow at different rates and sizes. Most of us base the feeding on the weight of the snake. And obviously 2 snakes, both at 4 months of age, but 1 weighing 15 grams and the other weighing 70 grams (or anything in between) would all require different amounts of food.

The Pinky you fed might be just right, or it could be that you need to feed 2 of them or even move up in size to a slightly larger mouse. For example, my snake was eating "Hoppers" at 6 months of age. (A Hopper is a term for a Young Mouse that weighs about 8 grams.)

In looking at your pictures, it's hard to determine just how big (or small) the snake is.

If you don't have a scale yet, I would suggest you obtain one that weighs in grams. It's handy to weigh both the snake and the food. You certainly don't want to "Over Feed" but you don't want to "Under Feed" either.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
You state she is 4 months old. I have not seen any post(s) giving her length or weight. It's possible for a 4 month old corn snake to be 13 inches long and weigh 15 grams or it could be 20 inches long and weigh 70 grams.

The reason I say this is because every corn snake is different, just like people, and they grow at different rates and sizes. Most of us base the feeding on the weight of the snake. And obviously 2 snakes, both at 4 months of age, but 1 weighing 15 grams and the other weighing 70 grams (or anything in between) would all require different amounts of food.

The Pinky you fed might be just right, or it could be that you need to feed 2 of them or even move up in size to a slightly larger mouse. For example, my snake was eating "Hoppers" at 6 months of age. (A Hopper is a term for a Young Mouse that weighs about 8 grams.)

In looking at your pictures, it's hard to determine just how big (or small) the snake is.

If you don't have a scale yet, I would suggest you obtain one that weighs in grams. It's handy to weigh both the snake and the food. You certainly don't want to "Over Feed" but you don't want to "Under Feed" either.
Good point. I will weigh her when she digests in 2-3 days. I will also start feeding in newspaper or something else clean because she might have swallowed a bit of aspen which worries me now after reading about impaction...

Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
DollysMom
If she feeds well in her house, you can minimize any ingestion by putting a plastic lid or paper plate under where you offer the mouse. It’s totally up to you.

A few pinkies while she’s getting acclimated won’t hurt a thing. Then as Karl says, weigh her and gradually move her up to the size she needs.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
If she feeds well in her house, you can minimize any ingestion by putting a plastic lid or paper plate under where you offer the mouse. It’s totally up to you.

A few pinkies while she’s getting acclimated won’t hurt a thing. Then as Karl says, weigh her and gradually move her up to the size she needs.
Yeah that's what I'm planning to do...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google