CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

how much water do snakes drink/need

Old 07-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
marg
Question how much water do snakes drink/need

hiya

my corn prefers to lick water droplets off the side of his viv ...........I've only ever seen him use the water dish to drink from twice...........He even took a drop of water from my sons finger..........Is it ok/preferable for him to drink sprayed water or should I keep everything dry so he has to drink out of the bowl?

thank you

Old 07-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
Skye
I think it is absolutely fine for him to drink droplets if that is what he likes. You wouldn't want the cage/bedding/surroundings to get or remain permanently wet since that could lead to fungal infections and skin problems, but a little misting of the cage walls should be absolutely fine.
There are many reptiles that will only drink droplets and never from standing pools of water, although corn snakes do not usually fall into this category. Mine all drink from their water bowls.
Skye

Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Krenna
I have a green rough that drinks from the droplets and recently have seen him do it from the bowl.. which was a new one on me.. Just keep that bowl of water fresh for it, either way you have your bases covered

Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Bekah
My corn practically gulps from his bowl! I didn't see him drink for the first week or so and got worried, but one night I caught him at it! I'd leave a bowl of water in there regardless.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
marg
hiya all

thank you everyone for the prompt replies........I do have his bowl of fresh cold water in there all the time....just in case ....lol

I think it must have been when I started putting vitamins in his water that he stopped drinking it............I just give him plain water now but he still won't use his bowl.

does he really need his vitamins????

thank you

Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Bekah
Hi again!
I don't give my corn any kind of vitamins. I also only give only filtered or spring water at room temperature...I was told that was what was best for them.

Maybe some of the other members could answer your vitamin question! Best of luck!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
MegF.
I don't think vitamins are necessary. Kathy Love doesn't recommend them, or if you do, don't use it every feeding. My corns both drink lots of water.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
marg
hiya

for all the replies on this.

thanx again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google