CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

flash???

Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
junji98
flash???

hello all! just wanted to know if using a flash to take a pic is harmful to the snake? i know it sounds silly, but i wanted to be on the safe side.

thanks!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Joejr14
Nope, perfectly fine for the snakes. You will notice, if you look close enough, that the pupils do contract, but that's to be expected and normal.

Nothing to worry about.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
Rich Z
Actually it can be harmful. Here's a quote directly from the manual that came with my SB-26 flash unit:
Quote:
DO NOT FIRE FLASH NEAR THE EYES: Firing the flash light very close to any person's eyes can injure the retina, thereby weakening eyesight or causing blindness.
So when taking closeups of an animal's head, use a lens that allows you a good bit of working space between the camera and the subject. Yes, you can get close up lenses that do closeups if you are right down on the subject, but that also puts the flash unit precariously close to the subject as well.

If you have any doubts about the effects of the flash on your animals, put the flash an equal distance from your own eyeball and see what it feels like to you. I think that will sufficiently answer that question.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Joker
Thats excellent information Rich thanks a lot. I just went out and got a new lens for my Canon today that should help me out with that. Much appreciated and thanks again. Gotta keep those snakies in good shape.
Josh

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google