CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

New Camera?

Old 06-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Joejr14
New Camera?

How's the new S3, Rich? How big of a difference do you notice from the S1?

I'm curious---is that 'Oops' picture with the new camera?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Rich Z
No, the OOPS photo was with the S1 camera. I'll still fiddling around with the S3. The flash system works substantially different from the S1 and I am not getting a balanced exposure. The right flash is taking all the load while the left one is barely giving any light to the subject. Not sure yet what the problem is, so I need to work on it a bit. Come to find out that in order to take advantage of the TTL (through the lens metering) capability of the new camera, I may have to replace at least my main flash. Heck, I guess those flashes are getting up there in age, now that I think of it. So I guess it was just overly optimistic of me to think they would be compatible with the newer technology in the latest cameras. I wonder if my off camera cable (SC-17) is still compatible?

Not to mention there are a whole passel of new options on this new camera that I need to fiddle with as well.

The photos it takes are 4256x2848 pixels and create a JPG file that is 4.25meg in size. There is a RAW mode that just captures the raw image without any processing or compression that creates an image that is 25 megabytes in size. I decided to put in a 2 gigabyte SanDisk to give me enough room to store enough images for a typical shooting session. At least this camera downloads images in USB 2 rather then USB 1 like the S1, so they transfer a lot quicker.

Hopefully by the time the eggs begin hatching I'll have everything figured out with the new camera.....

Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
No, the OOPS photo was with the S1 camera. I'll still fiddling around with the S3. The flash system works substantially different from the S1 and I am not getting a balanced exposure. The right flash is taking all the load while the left one is barely giving any light to the subject. Not sure yet what the problem is, so I need to work on it a bit. Come to find out that in order to take advantage of the TTL (through the lens metering) capability of the new camera, I may have to replace at least my main flash. Heck, I guess those flashes are getting up there in age, now that I think of it. So I guess it was just overly optimistic of me to think they would be compatible with the newer technology in the latest cameras. I wonder if my off camera cable (SC-17) is still compatible?

Not to mention there are a whole passel of new options on this new camera that I need to fiddle with as well.

The photos it takes are 4256x2848 pixels and create a JPG file that is 4.25meg in size. There is a RAW mode that just captures the raw image without any processing or compression that creates an image that is 25 megabytes in size. I decided to put in a 2 gigabyte SanDisk to give me enough room to store enough images for a typical shooting session. At least this camera downloads images in USB 2 rather then USB 1 like the S1, so they transfer a lot quicker.

Hopefully by the time the eggs begin hatching I'll have everything figured out with the new camera.....

Actually, your SB-26 flashes are compatible, just not to the degree that you want. The SB-26's are not compatible with the new TTL system, but I think you know that. Your off camera cable is still compatible, at least according to Fuji. Well, as long as there's not 15 versions of the SC-17.

Those are some enormous picture sizes. I can't even imagine that. 2GB of media surely couldn't have been cheap. You're lucky it's USB 2.0---25mb for each picture on the regular USB 1 and you'd be in for quite the wait downloading 50 pictures or so---or even more.

This link might be helpful for you with picking out a new flash. I obviously dont know exactly what you're looking for, but this is a good simplified version.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...patibility.pdf

I cant wait to see some new pictures from the S3.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 AM   #4
Rich Z
Evidently there are several types of TTL. Standard TTL, D-TTL, and i-TTL. There are also such things as Aperture linked automatic flash brightness control and just regular non-TTL Auto. All of these depend on what kind of flash, what kind of camera, and what kind of lens you are using. And some flashes require the newer SC-28 or SC-29 off camera cable.

I just want TTL to work as it is supposed to. With off camera flashes, the camera can't really know how reflective the subject matter is until the shutter has opened and the flashes have fired. With TRUE TTL, the flashes will shut down when the proper exposure has been reached. Of course then there is the additional complication as to what sort of metering system you are using. Matrix metering will give you an entirely different result then if you are using spot metering or a weighted metering system.

Another example of where TTL metering is a real necessity, for the camera, but not for the flash system, is when you are trying to take photos of lightning. What you want the camera to do is to shut the shutter when the proper exposure has been reached from the lightning flash captured. It is impossible for the camera to know this beforehand when you press the shutter button. This sort of correct exposure can only be accomplished through TTL which meters the amount of light coming in through the lens while the shutter is open. This can be somewhat emulated artificially by having an exposure initiated in a darkened room and then hand holding a flash while walking around the room flashing various objects with the flash until the correct exposure is reached in the camera.

That list of compatible flashes is listed in the manual that came with the camera, but thanks for looking it up for me. I have to admit that I am rather disappointed to discover that although my SB-26s are TTL flashes (at least on my N90s Nikon SLR, that this facility does not seem to work with the Fuji S1 nor the S3. This was actually one of the main reasons I wanted to get the S3 in the first place. I'm really not that keen on having to buy two new flashes (master and slave) and perhaps a new off camera flash cable to boot. Even worse, I haven't yet found any confirming documentation that the new stuff will do what I want either. When taking photos of the snakes, I need to manually adjust the aperture depending on the color of the animals I am shooting. I just want the camera to do that grunt work so I can concentrate on the shot itself. It's rather irritating to get a really wild looking shot just to find that it is too overexposed because the animal was too light colored and I didn't manually compensate for it.

I guess I just need to get on the phone and talk to someone at FujiFilm about it one day.

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
El Jefe
I thought sometimes corn snake genetics were confusing....

Old 06-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Rich Z
Well, I think I got the flashes working on this thing. I still need to experiment a bit, but it looks like it is setting the exposure automatically no matter what the color of the subject matter, so the TTL must be working. At least I didn't make any changes between the photos below, and normally I need to make the aperture smaller on photos of Candy Canes after taking a photo of a normal colored corn. If I don't do that, the photo of the Candy Cane will be VERY overexposed.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Jynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes
I thought sometimes corn snake genetics were confusing....
I'm with you on this...all I hear is the teacher on Charlie Brown....
"wa waw wa waw waw waw wa waa...."

Old 06-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
Rich Z
I think I have the flash problem licked...

There is a small spider living on my Jeep Wrangler. Small light objects against a very dark background are notoriously difficult to get exposed correctly using flash units. Looks like the way I have it set up now is about as good as I could want.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
Joejr14
What a hideous spider.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
TBurkeIII
man i am not a big fan of that thing!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google