CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Nikon vs Canon - a request

Old 01-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
mcarabian
Nikon vs Canon - a request

I know I know, everyone is getting tired of this comparison but I'm sort of stuck on which one to get, the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT (350 I think). The clincher for me would be how well the camera will photograph the snake. If anyone photographed their snake with either camera, would you post up the pics for me? Can you also include what kind of lens you used (this part is not necessary but I'm curious about how well the 'stock' lenses compare to other lenses out in the market).
Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
mbdorfer
Joejr is using the D50 with the standard lens, I believe.
He has posted several threads. Here's one of them
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28541

Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
mcarabian
Very nice! Ok, I'v made my decision, unless someone else posts up fantastic pics they've taken with the Canon
Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
Kvlt
i can post some pics taken with the 350D when i get home from work.
the D50 is 6mb while the 350D is 8mb...which means you can crop more to get better closeups.
Take a look at this link:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
BUT what is more important is how the camera feels when you hold it...because both camera's are awesome and will take amazing pictures. So i would go to a camera store or something and try to hold both the camera's and find out which feels more comfortable.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
mcarabian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt
BUT what is more important is how the camera feels when you hold it...because both camera's are awesome and will take amazing pictures. So i would go to a camera store or something and try to hold both the camera's and find out which feels more comfortable.
That's the problem - I used to have a big clunky SLR, so BOTH cameras felt pretty sweet to me when I held them. I actually looked over the reviews on that website and on a couple of other sites and was still stumped The only complaint worth noting about the Canon is the stock lens that comes with it, but I can easily just buy the body and get a better (perhaps cheaper?) lens on the market. It's one of the reasons I was curious about pics taken with the stock lens.
Thanks for the reply and I'm looking forward to seeing your pics

Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Hurley
This photo was taken (obviously way scaled down to fit here) with the stock lens on a Rebel XT with pop-up flash and completely crappy lighting conditions (one 75 watt bulb burning in the room):

I honestly have had the camera for just a couple days, so I don't have much to show you as I'm still working through the features and options, but so far I love this camera. I can't compare to the Nikon D50 as I've never used it. This 8mp camera is a huge step up from my little Fuji Finepix 3800 3mp'er. I think they are both fine cameras and you won't go wrong no matter what you decide. I'm looking forward to trying out the camera with a slave flash.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
2i2_D3gr33s
If you buy either of the two, you're going to be happy. It's like, do like coke or pepsi? And the only way you're going to get a much better camera than either of those you listed, is buy spending an extra grand, which I'm guessing you're not going to do. One thing you might want to look into, though, is prices on accesseries, if you're planning on buying any. That may change your mind, knowing there will be a big difference once you figure in everything you plan on buying outside the camera itself.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Joejr14
I echo Connie with my love for my new camera, of course, I don't own a crappy Canon so I cannot vouch for it.

Just kidding, of course. They're both entry level DSLR's and will take comparable photos. Accessories are a major factor, but quite honestly it's all the same. Flashes for the Cannon are not any cheaper than for the Nikon.

There is really no difference when you're talking about 6mp versus 8, or even 10mp. I'm using a crappy 18-55mm standard lens kit (only a $100 lens) and I'm thrilled. If I was using like a 105 or 150mm Nikon Micro lens I'm sure the pictures would be outstanding. Same with a hot shoe flash. Right now I'm just using the standard built in flash, but it's working well.

I might add, it's SO worth spending the $3 to buy some Ge or Philips reveal or natural light bulbs---particulary in the 100w range. I bought a pack of 4 Philips because it was A) cheaper and B) more output in lumens and the difference is amazing. If you could set a pair of those up over your 'shooting location' you could do without a flash--at least for snake pictures. I did that with one and had the f-stop cranked up to f/36, and the pictures were slightly dark---but a very easy fix in photoshop.

Anyway, it's all up to you. Both cameras have very similar features and are similar in price range.

Either way you'll be very happy with the quality of pictures you're getting from it.

Here's some sample pictures, which have been cropped from the original 3000x2000 size.

Blizzard:

Coral Snow:

Hypo Lav:

Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
Hurley
Heh, I don't have a crappy cannon either, but I love my Canon.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley
Heh, I don't have a crappy cannon either, but I love my Canon.

I've had a rough day, thank you very much.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google