• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Tula_Montage

It's Jager time!
Some of you may know the story of Windsor. I got him about 2 months ago as a non feeder royal. He has struck fed perfectly for me every time hes been offered since I got him and gained 100 grams. Anyway, soon after he developed a respiratory infection - who knows how and who really cares. The point is I rushed him to the vet and got him on broad spectrum anti biotics straight away. These did not work. Hes to go back to the vet at the end of the week but I'm not sure I or he can wait.

I found this when I went to check on him tonight...
blood.png

Blood splattered all over the walls
blood2.png

I don't know whats causing this. Theres no cuts inside or outside his mouth - I checked. His RI is hitting the poor creature with a vengance. Hes also noticeably swollen the whole length of his body. Hes an underweight royal, and has lost 50 grams since developing the RI - the picture shown illustrates just how swollen he is... His tummy should be flat and a bit sunken in since hes not an ideal weight.
blood3.png

I don't know a darn thing about snake lungs, but if he were a mammal I'd say he is coughing up blood. :shrugs:

Poor thing. That can't be good, whatever it is.

Wishing you both the best. I know you have been very proud of his progress. He's a gorgeous guy...he deserves to get better.

Poor guy! :awcrap:

I would agree. It looks as though he has been "coughing" blood.

He appears to be in poor shape. I hope he gets better.

It's been suggested by a friend whos a herp vet in England that its most likley pneumonia. At this late stage theres not much that will work.

I don't care what anyone thinks or says, but for this poor creature to be in this state the RI had to have been advanced before I got him. Heres what the vet says...

"if its coughing up blood broad spectrum antibiotic like baytril and amikin wont do the trick probably"

"you will need a VERY good vet and lots of money and even then theres not much hope"

"it will need xray and samples checked to find out what antibiotic to try but I recon its very slim chance he would pull through"

Awwww... :( I hope he does make it!

What are the temp/humidity requirements for a RI? Did you lower his humidity? Maybe his lungs are dry and getting irritated...?

EDIT: Wow, a lot of people posted while I was writing that message. Pneumonia...man, that sucks. I will be hoping for the best. *hugs*

Elle... I'm sorry to hear your struggles to save the little thing has taken a turn for the worse. We all know you tried your best to get him to thrive. It is possible that his time as a non-feeder left him too vulnerable to survive even a minor issue.

I'm very sorry. Recalling some of you earlier posts about him, he knew you were trying.

Elle,
I would see if the Vet will see you either tonight or tomorrow. I would not wait til Friday. But yes, if its as bad as it looks it would have killed off a Mammal a long time ago. Now the swelling, I am assuming he is retaining fluids?
If he does pass away, please and I do mean please get a necropsy done ASAP. You really should find out what is causing this. Please, you have some wonderful boids in your collection and I would be afraid that this might be passed along to them. So wash and sanitize hands and everything you touch for the next month.

( you are talking to the guy who wouldn't stick his hands in his reef tank when he was sick with a cold or flu.)

Thanks... Hes in a completely different house to my other boids so theres no chance of cross contamination.

Heres some more info from the vet.

"in that case the swelling sounds like parrasites that eat the gut wall... if its been in cold conditions for 8/9 months not eating his immune system will be weak"

"I think even 4 weks ago when you did try baytril it was probably too late"

" it's already dead, put it out of its misery"

If he does pass away, please and I do mean please get a necropsy done ASAP. You really should find out what is causing this. Please, you have some wonderful boids in your collection and I would be afraid that this might be passed along to them. So wash and sanitize hands and everything you touch for the next month.

Completely agreed! You have some amazing snakes in you collection and I know all of us want to see them continue to stay beautiful and healthy

Elle, I'm so sorry to see how bad this guy has gotten. You've done an awesome job trying to bring him back to good health and I don't think any of us could have done any better for him. I'm sorry to see that he's gone downhill like this, and I know its probably heart breaking for you. I wish you the best and hope that you beat the odds with Windsor!

**Wow ya'll posted quick lol this was supposed to be a few more up there when I started typing lol. Glad to hear you keep them separated from him.**

Sorry about the suffering, Elle. What did you mean about him being in 'cold conditions' though?

Well, it isn't over till it's over. Don't give up on him. I got my box turtle through pneumonia. Coughing blood is dramatic, but there are a lot of fragile blood vessels in the nose and mouth which bleed easily and can make things look much worse than they are. Maybe you will be lucky and he has just had a nose bleed for some reason. Hoping for the best tomorrow...

Nanci

Well, it isn't over till it's over. Don't give up on him. I got my box turtle through pneumonia. Coughing blood is dramatic, but there are a lot of fragile blood vessels in the nose and mouth which bleed easily and can make things look much worse than they are. Maybe you will be lucky and he has just had a nose bleed for some reason. Hoping for the best tomorrow...

Nanci

Thank you Nanci. Theres no way I am giving up on him. But if he doesn't make it through the night I will not be upset... at least he would be out of his misery.

Aw, Elle. :( Since I come to YOU for boid advice, you know I can't be of any help. But I'm really hoping that somehow either Windsor pulls through, or that he passes peacefully.

Back