• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Different behavior after shedding?

Raul89

First of all i'm new here and also a new snake owner, so I would just like to say hello to everyone...

Second...

About 3 1/2 weeks ago(March 26th) I bought my new corn snake from a local pet shop. I don't know if she is a she or a he, but I've been calling her a she. I'm also not too sure how old she is, the pet shop got her in September, and they said she was only a few weeks old when they got her...

I love the little thing, picking her up every now and then, fed her twice so far(they had fed her 2 days before I bought her). At first she would rattle her tail, and she even bit me 2 or 3 times, but lately she has been no trouble at all, yesterday she decided to poop on my bed and pants when I let her crawl around like I usually do. Also she is always hiding under her water bowl, as soon as I put her back thats where she goes... and that's where I always find her.

Now on to the question, this afternoon I got home from work to see that she had shed for the first time since I got her, and now I cant go near her or pick her up because she immediately runs away, I got her out of her viv to clean it and for the first time she actually tried to climb the side of the tank. But now she wont let me pick her up, is this normal?

Sorry if everything I just wrote was confusing and out of order, I kind of wrote it in a hurry... I usually make more sense than this.

I've never heard of corns behaving differently after they shed. I've heard of this type of behavior just before and during the shedding process though.

Did she shed in one piece? and are you sure she has shed her entire skin? Look carefully at her eyes. Did she retain one or both of her eye caps?

you know when you first get your snake you should leave her for few days to let her get used to the cage and your surrounding the behavior is normal it maybe in a stress so why not watch for few days?

Some corns immediately after shed seem to avoid handling more than they usually would, i put this down to them feeling fresh in their new skin, maybe immediately after a shed the skin is more fragile, or it feels generally more uncomfortable straight after a shed :shrugs:

or it could be that during the shedding process (in the wild) they are more vulnerable :shrugs: Don't really know :bang:

I wouldn't worry about it though, it'll usually take a hatchling a couple/few months to fully settle down

All the best

Tom

Back