CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New Member and New to Snake Keeping

Old 07-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #21
gelshark
Don't worry too much about the humidity here. If a shed is not complete you can add a wet washcloth to Tupperware container and let them hang out in there for about a half hour. If you consistently get bad shes then add a humid hide when you notice the snake going into shed cycle.
I know of a few guys here locally that probably have some for sale now or will soon. I can check with them if you like. Do you know what morph you're looking for?

Old 07-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #22
backafter30
Hey Justin. Gelshark gave me a heads-up. I breed corns, and I'm in Aurora. I will even have tesseras available soon. Many eggs cooking, nothing hatched just yet. Still looking for a corn? I have other snakes as well. Jim

Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
JustinOfCO
Quote:
Don't worry too much about the humidity here. If a shed is not complete you can add a wet washcloth to Tupperware container and let them hang out in there for about a half hour. If you consistently get bad shes then add a humid hide when you notice the snake going into shed cycle.
I know of a few guys here locally that probably have some for sale now or will soon. I can check with them if you like. Do you know what morph you're looking for?
Awesome. I'm already feeling a bit better about it now that I have had the setup going overnight. The temps and humidity both look really good. I have a shelter that can be a humid hide already set up, so between all of that and the great advice I've gotten here, I think I'll be OK.

Absolutely I'd love to get in contact with more folks locally. If I can save the animal the trauma of being shipped that's all the better. As for morphs, I'm sort of torn. There are so many beautiful ones out there, and I'm particularly fond of tesseras. However, I also sort of want a classic wild-type or Okeetee, since I went with a very natural looking terrarium setup. Plus, they're gorgeous in their own right!

Quote:
Hey Justin. Gelshark gave me a heads-up. I breed corns, and I'm in Aurora. I will even have tesseras available soon. Many eggs cooking, nothing hatched just yet. Still looking for a corn? I have other snakes as well. Jim
Hey there, Jim! Glad to find someone else in Aurora. Definitely still looking at corns, though open to other possibilities if the care is pretty much the same. I have my terrarium pretty much set up now, it's only missing a couple fake plants to help with security.

I'm also interested in yearlings or young adults, since I've heard an older, bigger snake is sometimes easier for a beginning snake keeper (which I very much am). I was told that my setup is too large for a baby corn, as it's a 40 gallon (I added a lot of large leaf litter in addition to the two hides to help with that). I'm looking for a single, long-term pet, so I'm not worried about fancy genetics as much as health, heartiness, and handleability.

Thanks guys I really appreciate you chiming in on this.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
Good seeing you back around these parts. How have you been?

Old 07-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #25
backafter30
It is dry here in Colorado, but I never have humidity issues with my corns. Mandarin and Rhino rats, yes, but not corns. I don't think a large vivarium with that many hiding places will bother a young corn. On the other hand, you may never see it again. Corns are rather secretive and nocturnal. I've tried them in naturalistic vivs. They make great pets, but terrible display animals. Rat snakes make a better display, but get larger, and are sometimes more nervous than corns. It all depends on the individual.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #26
JustinOfCO
I'm totally fine with the snake hiding during the day. I know corns like to hide quite a bit, and part of the reason for the naturalistic look was so that it would be pleasant to look at even with the snake not visible. So snake gets tons of hiding places, I still have something nice. Win-win.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #27
gelshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Good seeing you back around these parts. How have you been?
Hi Heather! I've been doing well. Got out for a few years and got back in last year. Mostly corns, a few black milks and a couple sinaloans.

Hoping for Terrazzos this year, not looking good though, haven't seen them hook up...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
beginner, introduction, new member