CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

How many holdbacks for ph?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
67temp
Even in my short time breeding it is amazing to hear people say "i'll just make my own" without considering the time and effort involved. I know a lot of those people come from the ball python world and don't have to deal with recessive genes as much.

There is one combo I'm hoping to produce this year that started as me saying "I'll make my own", but that is only because nobody else has made them. A few years back I got the needed visual adults for the project. I'm hoping for honey Miami tesseras.

Shiari you should produce those to see what you get.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I can remember MANY instances at shows when someone would look at a multi-homozygous animal I was selling and ask me about the genetics involved. When I would tell them, they very often would walk away and say they would just roll their own rather than pay that higher price for the animals I was selling.

Well good luck with that!

They didn't have a clue about the resources and commitment that was going to take to accomplish. I engaged in many projects that from the time I thought "I wonder what those genes combined would look like" to the "gee, that is not what I expected", might be 12 or more years in the making.

When I retired there were a LOT of projects in various stages of being finished that were just lost. The guy buying them had no interest in continuing any of the projects, unfortunately. I know I had at least two new "hypomelanistic" like genes in the mix that had just shown up that last year I was in the business. Of course I would have wanted to combine every one of the hypomelanistic type genes together to see if I could finally get a transparent snake.
Man, I wish I was around, and not on hiatus, when you decided to retire. ::sigh::

Old 01-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Shiari you should produce those to see what you get.
nooooo I dun wanna play with lava and dilute. XD I'm fully with Rich that Hypo is a four letter word.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
nooooo I dun wanna play with lava and dilute. XD I'm fully with Rich that Hypo is a four letter word.
Hmm now that you mentioned it I'm not fond of it either and only have one hypo and one het hypo in my collection.

I hate the recent craze where everyone wants to throw a bunch of genes together to make a "worlds first" only to end up with just another white patternless snake. I think the best looking combos are when you take a wild type or local add only one or two colors, a pattern, and a color enhancer.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #15
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post

I hate the recent craze where everyone wants to throw a bunch of genes together to make a "worlds first" only to end up with just another white patternless snake. I think the best looking combos are when you take a wild type or local add only one or two colors, a pattern, and a color enhancer.
On Bansidhe's behalf, I'm offended. At least amel isn't the reason he's white. XD But apparently if you put anery, charcoal, and lavender together and then add hypo, you still end up with a white snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google