• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any way to calm a corn down?

Shelby Craig

Just wondering cause every time i open up my blizzard's tub he starts rattling his tail and acts like he's going to strike at me...which he does sometimes :/

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking that time and repeated, gentle handling will be what does the trick. My Mango is a spaz, but he's calmed down considerably in the six months I've had him. How long have you had your little guy? How often do you handle him?

From what I've learned, if he strikes, he strikes. Corn bites aren't horrific, and he's not poisoness, so you just have to be dilligent and let him know he's not going to win just by kicking up a fuss. Once he's in your hands, he might even settle, it might just be a territory thing. I can't give advice from experience because both my babies have been super mellow since day one, but I've read extensively and it seems like that's the way to go.

Virtually all of mine rattle if disturbed in their hides. If the snake is in an S shape and you think he is likely to bite, place your hand flat down on top of him and then pick him up. Once they are out, they generally don't bite. Repeated gentle handling will teach him he has nothing to fear from you, but he may still rattle.

I got a Ghost Bloodred male in the beginning of July, and he rattled his tail and struck at anything that moved. Hes a yearling. But he has calmed down tremendously. He still rattles his tail and gets in the "S" position, but he is much better than he used to be. Just constant handling so he doesn't associate you with something bad, and eventually they will calm down.

Back