CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How do people that keep repiles keep getting a bad rep?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
jesserca
How do people that keep repiles keep getting a bad rep?

Oh yeah this is why. Don't get me wrong, this looks cool, but come on now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VPSnkQV7Y

Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
dionythicus
It's the 80/20 rule. 20% of the people ruin for the other 80%. Its sad.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
funnynonsense
the whole time I was convinced it was going to turn on him.

Guts or stupidity? - you decide

Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
ClickClickClickBOOM!
Stupidity and the fact that humans still think they can completely tame wild animals...

Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
snakemom1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickClickBOOM! View Post
Stupidity and the fact that humans still think they can completely tame wild animals...
Exactly!!! Perfect response.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Kokopelli
Actually we -can- tame wild animals... Dogs weren't always a domestic pet, same goes for cows, horses... anything.
Is it impossible that centuries hence there will be "domestic snakes" with behaviors vastly different than those that exist in the wild?
I don't think it's impossible...
But yeah that's not the topic at hand...

Anyways, I don't think it's exclusive to reptiles... but all animal trade. The news broadcast negative news, that's what makes people watch...
So naturally they will be focusing on the bad things that occur...
Add to that the natural fear of snakes and... tadaaa, drama

Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
bitsy
One poor reptile keeper is more newsworthy than a million good ones, sadly. People want to see things going wrong.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
ClickClickClickBOOM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Actually we -can- tame wild animals... Dogs weren't always a domestic pet, same goes for cows, horses... anything.
Is it impossible that centuries hence there will be "domestic snakes" with behaviors vastly different than those that exist in the wild?
I don't think it's impossible...
But yeah that's not the topic at hand...

Anyways, I don't think it's exclusive to reptiles... but all animal trade. The news broadcast negative news, that's what makes people watch...
So naturally they will be focusing on the bad things that occur...
Add to that the natural fear of snakes and... tadaaa, drama
Yes of course domestication is possible *pets cat* but that took a very long time to do. I think it would be possible to domesticate a croc just like any other animal but I don't think you can tame a wild born croc no matter what length of time you spend with it and the same goes for tigers and wolves. To me domestication and "taming" wild borns are two different things.

And yes negativity makes for better TV. Sad to say more people would rather hear about the Pit-bull who viciously mauled a toddler then the rottweiler who save a kitten or child. That's why I usually don't watch the news.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Kokopelli
Yes- Domestication is done through generations, not a single life-time. I agree on that.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
wade
Remember that guy that wanted to go live with the grizzly bears in Alaska. He did stuff like that. They found some of his and his girlfriends clothing in a pile of bear scat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google