CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

the saga continues........

Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #571
Susielea
Oh yeah I've heard transporting non-feeders helps to stir up the juices...lol

My hubby thought I was absolutely crazy last year, when I took the one and only non-feeder round to visit my son, in my handbag! Later that evening he (the hatchling not the Hubby...lol) was offered a nice hot pinky and devoured it. He continued feeding from then on, although I don't know if it was the journey or the very hot pink, either way it worked!

I see what you mean about building a good relationship with you local pet shop, at least if they listen to your recommendations and get their practices ironed out, then you'll have a good outlet for your hatchlings.

Also agree with you that 4 - 6 month old hatchlings should be bigger, it's probably because they've been on a maintainance diet. Which I know some pet stores do to keep cost down and to keep the hatchlings smaller and cuter longer...not good I know....But some do do it.

Anyway congrats on the new feeder, keep up the good work, best wishes,

Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #572
MegF.
Goes to show what separating and lowering the stress levels will do for them. Good job again Janine! You da bomb

Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #573
diamondlil
Ah, but who do I owe a lot of my success to?! Re-reading my early posts, Meg, I had help from you as well as Kathy, Dean, Bitsy, the list goes on with too many people to mention. I'm not being disingenuous here, I admit I was more than motivated and capable of taking on board that advice and learning, but you people involved from the start made the learning process easier for me

Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #574
diamondlil
'Phoned the shop owner, who is now a very happy man. I'll keep Val for 2 more feedings, then he can go back to the shop if he continues to be a good snakey. Again I reinforced that the snakelets really need separated and to be on a better feeding schedule in order to be big and healthy for a good start in life.
I'm considering loaning him my big boys after the breeding season as display snakes, so he can show customers how adult corns look

Old 02-20-2008, 04:06 AM   #575
diamondlil
Second half of the large pink down the hatch last night!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #576
MegF.
I'm thinking that it wasn't really a problem feeder, it was just stressed from being with all the other snakes.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #577
diamondlil
I'd agree totally. A good advert against co-habbing and maintenance feeding.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #578
diamondlil
Val went back to the shop today, having doubled his weight in less than a month! He's just going into blue and feisty enough to strike at me this morning.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #579
MegF.
Looking good Janine...you snake rehabber you!! Hopefully they will keep him in better conditions so that he'll continue to thrive.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #580
diamondlil
That's the best thing about it, Meg! The new setup of hatchling boxes inside a big viv is working out great, and as well as the benefits to the snakes, they've sold more corns than usual because you can see the hatchlings grooving around in their separate boxes, read accurate feeding records for each one, instead of a pile of skinny babies huddled in one hide!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google