CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Squiggly sleeping out side his hide

Old 09-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Naomi
Squiggly sleeping out side his hide

I'm not sure what I did wrong but i tryed to post this already and I dont see it so I'm going to try again. Sorry if the is a duplicate post. Squiggly is a hatchling,I have had him less than a week. he eats every Sunday and this Sunday will only be the second time I have feed him. I made him two hides, one for the warmer side of his tank and one for the cooler side of his tank. He has stayed in one or the other all the time except for a short time late at night. I get up at around 3:00 am and check on him because this is when our home is the coldest and can bring down in cage temp. the last two nights he has been curled up next to his hide not in side. The temp in his cage at that time on the hotter side is between 78-80 and on the cooler side is between 72-80. Is this normal behavor or should I be doing somthing different? I am a very nervious first time snake owner. My whole family is crazy about Squiggly.

Naomi

Old 09-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Naomi
mistake on previous post

I have had Squiggly for over two weeks

Old 09-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Dave123
Yea, that sounds normal. The temps sound fine so I wouldn't be worried. Good luck with feeding him tomorrow!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Sanebedlam
My little guy likes to sleep outside his hides he was ontop of his hide the other day haha.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Nanci
At 3:00 AM he's probably not sleeping. I'd like to see his warm side more like 83-85F. How and where are you measuring the temps, and do you have a thermostat/rheostat on your heater? I wouldn't worry about a cold side temp even as low as 66F, as long as the warm side is nice and warm. The correct place to measure is on the glass on top of the UTH, not on the aspen or anywhere else.

Nanci

Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Naomi
unfortunately, I bought Squiggly form a pet store and when I asked what I needed they advised against alot of the things that I now know after reading and talking to the people on this site I need. I cant buy anything more until next payday but I will ASAP. they had me buy a UV light and a heat light. They said that the under the tank heating pad type were bad and that it would be better to just increase the voltage on the heat lamp if needed. I am going to buy one of the systems that regulate the temperature but for now I just keep a very close eye on things and adjust from there.
Thank you for your help,
Naomi

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google