• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

IS this camera a good one?

I'm using a Sony NEX right now, and just got a telephoto lens, which I haven't had out yet. I really love it, because I'm too impatient or something to learn to use a fancy DSLR, plus if I had a big camera, I wouldn't carry it. The NEX is a decent compromise.

There are several good brands of affordable DSLR camera available including: Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony. If it were me making the decision, I'd go with Canon or Nikon because of the selection of lenses they each offer.

I like Canon glass better, so that's the system I went with. Nikon/Sony have the edge in sensor technology and dynamic range. Nikon lenses hardly ever go on sale. You get a lot for the money with Pentax, I'm not familiar with their lens offerings.

Ever since I bought my first Nikon D3000 DSLR, I don't think I will ever use another brand. Their products are great. My mom has a D90 as well and loves it.

I have a Nikon D40 and love it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a used body and then spend as much money as I could afford on good glass. Most kit lenses are mediocre at best.

Also keep in mind that the person shooting has more to do than the camera itself. I've seen people go spend $3k on a DSLR and then be bummed when their pics are no better than their old $100 walmart point and shoot camera.

Back