CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Snake Road, Union County, IL April 2014

Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Nanci
Snake Road, Union County, IL April 2014

55-210 Sony lens. This was my first time shooting with a zoom lens. I'm not sure why I thought that would be a good idea...

The first shot is my best, I think. This cottonmouth was very calm. She let us take a ton of photos of her, and then sat with us while we ate lunch.

The second snake is the first cottonmouth I found "by myself," by walking the base of the bluff. Sounds easy- but you have to climb like a mountain goat up a steep slippery slope to get there. There is a semi-beaten path along the base of the bluff. The snakes are still in their winter hibernaculums, venturing out for a few hours of sunshine each day. When the temps warm up, they will disperse out to the river basin.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Nanci
First is one of a pair of I think Five-Lined Skinks that were running around on a log. They were REALLY far away from me- 30 feet?? I'm surprised these turned out okay. Many didn't.

Second is a big Broad Head Skink, who was basking at the base of the bluff.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Nanci
Last, a small what I think is a Zigzag Salamander. I believe according to the range map, the Red Back is not found in Union County. We saw a LOT of these under logs. I guess the lens did okay with these- I'd prefer to be closer to such a tiny subject, though.

And Rich, up at the base of the bluff.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
HeavenHell
Nice photos Nanci. Snake Road is a real great place to see a variety of herptiles. Perhaps a bit early for prime time viewing though.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Nanci
We posted more photos in GCC. We saw 9 cottonmouths, 2 ribbons, 1 Dekays, 1 yellow belly watersnake (the new love of my life!!) and various salamanders and skinks and frogs and one toad. Not bad. Vacation time kind of dictated the dates- I was up at Rich's for New Years, and he was coming down here for Memorial Day, and I only had enough PTO for one vacation in between, and didn't want it to be too close to Memorial Day, so that is what we ended up with. I think next year I'd like to go a week or two later.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Tom Tuttle
Great photos Nanci! Thanks for sharing. Rich looks very happy.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
TyeW
Awesome pics. Love cottonmouths. It sure would be interesting if we had some hots native to Manitoba.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Chromatic Corns
Awesome pics, I'm super jealous since we've barely seen anything up here in Jersey yet except for a couple frogs and salamanders

Old 04-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
tspuckler
Nice stuff! That's one of my favorite places to visit...and I have yet to find a Zigzag Salamander.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
Really neat. I guess it's one of those 'grass is always greener' things, but I'm always jealous of the wildlife in areas other than my own. I wish we had skinks here!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google