• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A few questions

bluefox009

Hey folks!

I hope this is the right area to post this. A friend of mine told me to get a baby female because they are usually more "nice", it's this true and how could you tell the sex that early? I also would love to find some good breeders near Southern Illinois so I could look and handle some corns. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Ps: there are way to many awesome morphs for me to pick one, so feel free to mention your fav morph.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Shiari is right, neither are better than the other. How they are raised may make a difference. I have one very big boy who is just the sweetest guy, loves to be held and comes to me when I open his viv. I have a 13 year old girl who gets snippy, striking (but never really connecting with her teeth) but just ends up bumping my hand. It could be from age, it could be the way they are raised.

Both of them are rescues, along with 3 other rescues. I find that the more they are handled the calmer they are.

Also, I wouldn't start with a baby. They are flighty and scared, if this is your first corn I would go for a yearling who has been held and is much calmer.

There are some really great breeders on this site, I don't know who is local to you. But I do recommend finding a breeder, they will pair you up with the right one.

As for morphs, that is totally up to you and your taste. It is like art, some like brighter paintings with a lot of pattern going on, some like a simple single color. Can't guide you on that one, do lots of research to find out what appeals to you.

I'd actually go as far as to say that you'd be better off with an older more established corn, such as a juvenile or an adult - if you are looking for "nice" and handle-able. Young ones don't have as much life experience being around people and can be more nervous and nippy. I agree that sex is not a marker for personality.

But I completely agree with what smigon says about how they are raised. For example, I got my yearling corn from someone who rarely handled her (she was a bit of a fire-ball from the get-go; he was a ball breeder and didn't want to invest the time into her because he thought she'd be sold long before a year)... long story short, she was quite nippy to start but with some handling advice from Nanci on this forum, she completely calmed down in less than 2 weeks. So, there's always ways around the "less personable" snakes ;) if you so happen to be of the few who get those kinds of corns. I hear that they are few and far between though. However, I love Sydney (my corn) and we are best buds. She really prefers me out of anyone to handle her, and even comes up to greet me at the front of her vive, and hides if anyone else comes near.

As for morphs, I LOVE LOVE LOVE extreme reverse Okeetees. Lavenders are GORGEOUS. I am personally a big fan of all the gray morphs and anything with dark eyes. Also enjoy a classic!

Thanks for the feedback folks! I love learning about corn snakes and looking at pics. So far my favorite morphs are Anery Lavender, Blizzard and Maimi.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, and don't worry about which morph to choose, you will end up with one of each in due time. I guarantee this won't be your only corn! I bought one from a breeder, and have since rescued 5 more (actually 6, but one was too far gone to bring back to health) and love all the morphs. Just like potato chips, you can't have just one!

I only have 2 snakes and would have been happy with one but they were yearlings being sold together for a very good price so I took them both. I don't like albino anything and would never have picked Rigby (a coral snow), but now I think he's just gorgeous and is by far the nicest snake ever. I'd third (or fourth) the recommendation to get a bit older snake to start, and I'd go for personality over looks, myself!

Back