CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Is it possible to list breeders by location?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
smigon
Is it possible to list breeders by location?

There are so many classifieds and people who might want to visit the breeder to learn more about the snake they are buying.

Is there any way to divide the breeders up by state so that we can visit them and learn from them?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
I'm not sure how updated this is, but there is this one:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76317

Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
cjbage
I know the ones on that list from NC are no longer working, all are a 404 error

Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
There are so many classifieds and people who might want to visit the breeder to learn more about the snake they are buying.

Is there any way to divide the breeders up by state so that we can visit them and learn from them?

Thanks!
Not without some substantial custom programming being involved. Plus that would require changes in how people enter in the LOCATION field in their profile in order to comply with a formal structure that could be used in a search algorithm. There would have to be a separate field for STATE, that would have to be a selection list of qualified entries instead of just a free-form text field. Then certainly people will complain that just being limited to only a STATE search isn't any help, because they want someone local to their CITY as well. And then what about foreign members? Wouldn't they want to be able to search by COUNTRY as well? I know this all probably sounds simple on the surface, but this sort of thing does enter all sorts of complications looking from a programming perspective.

Seriously, the classifieds section here isn't all THAT active where doing a search for the TYPE of animal you are interested in won't narrow down your choices quite a bit. I would think most people are searching for something specific to buy rather than someone local who has anything at all to sell. To be perfectly honest, quite likely most breeders don't really want people dropping in all the time just to chat when they have work to do.

Worse comes to worse, simply post a WANTED ad stating you are looking for someone local to your location to buy from and see what happens then.

Or check around to see if there are any reptile shows taking place withing driving distance to you. That might be worth checking out.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Rich Z
I ran this idea past my programmer the other day, and he suggested that a possible solution that wouldn't require any custom programming would be to utilize thread prefixes.

If you have been over on my FaunaClassifieds site in the classifieds sections there, you probably noticed the prefixes being used there to indicate that the animals were FOR SALE or WANTED, since both of those types of ads are combined together.

What my programmer suggested was that I use prefixes to indicate the STATE for people wishing to only view animals FOR SALE or WANTED within a particular state of interest. Of course there would have to be allowances for those members offering sales or desiring purchases outside of the USA.

But at least this may be feasible as a solution if it would work for all who are interested in this capability.

Of course, I would have to set this up and enter in each state manually . And everyone creating a new ad in each of the classifieds sections here would have to utilize this prefix function for it to work.

So let me know your thoughts.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
I would love to be able to look through local ads. I have, quite often in the past, used the search feature to look at a morph I want and then just gone through the list to see if anyone has one locally. It's not a huge pain, because there aren't usually a ton of ads for a specific morph (especially if it's more than 2 genes), but some of the people don't have their location listed in their profile, so then I have to click the ad to see if I can find out where they are located.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Rich Z
If someone won't put their location in their profile, then it's entirely possible that they will not utilize the prefix function neither. Even if I make it a requirement for this to be used in the classifieds, I'm sure some will just use the first one on the list instead of taking the time to use the correct prefix.

You know the saying about leading a horse to water.....

Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
smigon
Sorry I never got back to this thread, I was just thinking of how I got my first corn. If it hadn't been for Damon being local and allowing me to come to his home and see and hold Scarlett, I probably wouldn't have any snakes at all.

Olivia is right on with what I was asking, if I knew there were breeders in my area to go and see the animal I am purchasing (and relieving stress on shipping the snake) it would be great. We also tell lots of newbies to buy from a reputable breeder, and if the breeder were in their area they would definitely have a more thorough understanding of the corn snake and its living needs more so than just reading it in a book.

I do totally get the logistics of the computer end, though, I just wasn't sure if it was a simple thing or not.

Thanks for checking it out for me!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Rich Z
You can search the membership by location, and the steps how to do so are shown in this thread I posted on FaunaClassifieds -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=476283

I do not have the code installed here to display and search for classified ads, simply because the traffic here just doesn't warrant the custom coding. But at least you can search on location in this manner.

Bear in mind that all the caveats of trying to search in a free form text field apply here as well. The search routine is absolutely literal. It does not know that "FL" means "Florida".

Anyway, here's a direct link to the memberlist search page -> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/mem....php?do=search

I would recommend sorting by join date in descending order so you will see the newest members first. From there anyone with a FIND button means that they have at least posted something here. You might then have to do some searching to see if they actually are selling what you are looking for.

Sorry, but there is just no easy method of doing this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google