CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Handling

Old 04-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
loslos
Handling

How long after feeding should you wait to handle?

Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Albino Billy
I've been told to wait at least 48 hours so they can hide (in their warm hide) and digest... That is what I did with my new guy!

Old 04-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
ayasha
A matter of personality

Wow, look out… I have seen these posts heat up!

While many ‘online forum Herpers’ have opinions ranging from days to weeks, I am an advocate of getting to know your animal and allowing him (stress levels) to dictate. I read a post where some one advised to not touch for 2 weeks, then feed and don’t touch for another 7 days.
I find that completely baseless.

Many books and other (reliable?) sources I ready suggest a few days to allow it time to acclimate.

Me? I suppose it varies. My Okatee was, and has always been, super friendly and low maintenance (great eater etc..). My last addition ( Benny the black Pine snake) was a different story. Even after settling in, he took many weeks of incremental handling to settle down to the point he is now. Scared the crickets out of my wife (Lizard lady) with his hissing and bit her. Felt bad for both of them They are great friends now.

Another consideration, somewhat off topic, is ‘quarantine’. Many breeders, (herpetoculturists) quarantine new snakes from the rest of their collection for at least one month to observe for signs of disease and other health problems that can be passed to the rest of the collection.

So, if you have a new snake (and already own others) be sure to thoroughly wash your hands and disinfect prior to handling your existing Herps. Just a side note.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Wilder
As was said, leave them be for two days after eating so they have a chance to digest. Handling them in that time greatly increases the chance of a regurge.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Lennycorn
Yep, Wait 48 hour after feeding be for handling. Possable regurge if not.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
BeckyG
I agree--wait 48 hours.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
jenkva
I agree, I leave mine alone for at least 48hrs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google