CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New Bite Club Member

Old 06-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
TimeBomb
New Bite Club Member

Got nommed on by my corn today. Since I adopted it a while back, I was a little concerned about getting bit; I hadn't been bit by a snake since I was probably 13 and I didn't know what to expect. My snake seems to be exceptionally smart and learned within his first two weeks here that saying "Hi Bandit!" and pulling the weights from the top of the enclosure and opening it means either food or an intruder haha.

Bandit always comes out of his hide quite quickly to investigate, and I am always very sure to wash my hands, not come from above, let him investigate my hand for a while, and only pick him up when he's ready. It's usually a 3-5 minute ordeal of talking to him and being very patient. However... Today, I didn't wash my hands, didn't give him much of any time to investigate, and was in a bit of a rush as I needed to clean his tank today. He shed on Thursday night, and this was his first handling in a week. Hadn't eaten in 16 days and get's fed every 10-14. So he was pretty pissed and smacked me in the pinkie. Three little pin pricks. I was almost disappointed.

Totally not surprised though. Lots of variables and lots of things that I did wrong. I felt like a bad snake owner Learning experience I guess.
Handled him long enough to let him calm down, and then handed him off to my other snake-friendly friend to hold him while I cleaned the tank. I've heard that cornsnakes tend to want to keep moving when handled, but not this guy. After 5 minutes or so he just gets bored and as long as he has something warm to sit on, he just hangs out. He might move about in your lap a little, but that's about it.

-Travis

Old 06-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Joba
Nothing to feel bad about, as long as you don't freak out and fling him across the room, lol. Most bites are our fault. Just a good reminder of why I don't keep hots.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google