CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

Old 02-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Rich Z
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

I've been looking at reviews for several different lenses lately, and have seen a bunch of glowing reviews for this particular Tokina lens. I kind of favor actual Nikkor (Nikon) lenses, but there seem to be a few classes where after market brands are actually better than what Nikon is offering. This one appears to be one of them. I have a Nikon 105 f/2.8 micro lens that I've had and used for ages, and have gotten some really good photos from, but from what people are saying, this Tokina lens beats the pants off of the Nikon lens. So, heck, I dunno. Is "good enough", GOOD ENOUGH?

Anyway, I wanted to link this YouTube video here not so much because of the lens review, but at the end of the video the author has a bunch of photos of herps out in the wild that are very well done, and well worth viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVUth6ZLhYE

Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Rich Z
BTW, if anyone is interested in picking up this lens, B&H Photo has it on sale through 02-28-2018 for $350.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Dragonling
A higher price point by far, but I am in love with the Sigma 105mm. Probably not great for herping though...focus is a little slow.

https://imgur.com/a/Z1DuM

After getting through (most of) the video, I'm kinda sad this lens doesn't have an e-mount. The Sigma is great for studio work, but the Tokina seems pretty fantastic for being outdoors and on the move.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Rich Z
I'm likely to just stick with my old Nikon 105mm f/2.8 micro lens, as I have been very satisfied with the images I get through it, and I just can't justify spending the money for *maybe* a slight increase in quality. Quite likely I couldn't even see any differences in the images myself anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google