CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

I thought they just slept after eating

Old 04-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
DollysMom
I thought they just slept after eating

My little guy is 14 grams and on 2 gram pinkies every 5 days. He was fed about 26 hours ago.

I just spent an hour quietly watching him crawl through his little vine that is suction cupped to the side of the viv. It stretches from bottom to top of the viv. He was weaving in and out of the leaves and vine. It was like he had his own little snake playground.

I thought they just sat in their warm (or whatever place is the right temp) hides digesting, for at least a couple of days after eating. Is so much activity just after dusk normal for such a little guy while he is still digesting?

I've read so many threads here, but I wasn't expecting this. His movements were deliberate and normal. He did pause and rest between activity. When I could see his head his tongue was flicking normally.

My only concern is that this seems very active so soon after a meal. Is this usual or unusual?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
11malibu
My baby corn sleeps in her cool side hide after eating, she been in there about a day and a half, when she is done she comes out and spends most of her time in her tree.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11malibu View Post
My baby corn sleeps in her cool side hide after eating, she been in there about a day and a half, when she is done she comes out and spends most of her time in her tree.
A day and a half for your little girl is pretty quick after eating, too. I do believe it when the experts say if you give them options they will find what works for them. I just wasn't expecting this much activity.

Mine was in his warm hide all day. I could barely see him through the door. I expected him to be there at least another day, but then again I know a lot goes on after dark that I can only surmise from the lumps and holes in the aspen!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
11malibu
I have carpets so I can't see if she has been out other than seeing her. She ate about 5 on Saturday, by morning she will probably out and about.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11malibu View Post
I have carpets so I can't see if she has been out other than seeing her. She ate about 5 on Saturday, by morning she will probably out and about.
Mine ate about 7 Sunday (yesterday) evening. He has quieted down and is sleeping hanging in his vine.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
DollysMom
Update: this morning finds Dolly happily sleeping and presumably digesting in the vine. It is great that he feels safe and secure enough to be up there. I know I've said it before but he is so adorable!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
DollysMom
Find the snake in the vine.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
11malibu
Carina will climb to the very very top which is like a centimeter from the screen and sleep up there, she loves her tree.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
IrishInIsengard
Ha! I have that same plant in my guy's viv.

After I fed my little dude on Sunday, he went straight to the warm hide and stayed there for almost a full day. Then he went straight for the coldest part of his viv, the upper part of the plant on the cool side.

The two times I fed him prior, he went straight for the warm side plant and stayed there for almost 2 days.

I've just accepted that he's a crazy weirdo. Snakes are pretty dumb, but I have to trust that if he needs the UTH, he'll go to the UTH. Still, he's not the sharpest crayon in the box...

Old 04-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
DollysMom
Lol, on the dumb, IrishInIsengard. I agree, they are smarter about their needs than we are. I was worried and Dolly knew what he was doing. I read that they like to climb so I guess our little ones are being normal, mine included.

On it's being the same vine, yes it's an exo terra vine. They are the nicest brand vine I've found so far. I like that the 12 in size is the perfect length on the side of the 20 gallon long viv.

Yes,11malibu, that's so cute and I've heard that many corns love to sleep in trees, vines, or hammocks. That's why I bought the vine and I'm so glad he's found it! Carina must be so cute in her tree.

BTW, I don't know exactly when because I was gone, but I just found a very healthy looking poop. So the digestion is coming right along. He usually poops 2.5 days after eating. Poop in less than two days was a little snakey surprise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google