CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Striking babies.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
Dahliasmom2012
Striking babies.

I have 2 more babies that arrived last week. I left them alone other than placing them in their homes after unpacking them for the week and yesterday got a quick weight on both and a small feeding in a deli cup for each.

The weighing went fine but shortly after they each turned into hissing striking little squiggles of snakey fury. I'm feeling badly that I may have done too much too soon.

I managed not to get bit, did the bare minimum contact possible for feeding after the weight check and both managed to eat and settled back in the safety of their little tubs but still feel rotten that they were nervous enough to strike and hiss as they were.

Poor babies.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
MysticExotics
This is not unusual for babies. They are tiny and expect that everything is going to try to eat them.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Dahliasmom2012
I guess I'm spoiled with how mellow the other 4 are. I'm glad it's normal and not just me having a big fail moment with them. Hope I can get them to realize we will never let them come to harm soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
MysticExotics
As a breeder, I do not handle my babies very often. I want them to eat and grow, and try to limit the stress as much as possible.

Each has individual personalities, and some never grow accustomed to being handled, but most, in time do just fine.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
Dahliasmom2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
As a breeder, I do not handle my babies very often. I want them to eat and grow, and try to limit the stress as much as possible.
The two I got from you are very mellow! You would think you handled them all the time. They are part of the reason I think I got so spoiled.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahliasmom2012 View Post
The two I got from you are very mellow! You would think you handled them all the time. They are part of the reason I think I got so spoiled.
I am glad they have done well with you.

I think because I see whole clutches at a time, from time of hatch until they go to a new home, I see the defensive behavior that many display as babies.
I usually only have a couple clutches a year, but it is fun to watch them grow, from the beginning.

Do you have updated pics of your two from me?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Dahliasmom2012
I do! Una
Seven

Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
MysticExotics
They look great! I really enjoyed watching the Fire babies color up!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
Dahliasmom2012
Thanks! They are so much fun to handle. Seven loves food, Una likes to try and explore a bunch before eating but this last feeding she struck and ate pretty quickly.

The new stripey babies, the amel seems to be settling but the blood red stripe seems to be completely terrified of me. I'm not sure if I should let her settle in another week with no handling or keep working on short handling sessions to try and help her adjust. She will just freeze when lifted, won't move until I go to place her back she will strike and try to escape the bin. What would be the best way to help her?

here is the one photo I got of her during the initial weigh and feed attempt.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
DollysMom
They are all different. Your best judgment is probably as good as anyone's at this point. I'd leave her alone for another week and then start with very short handling sessions if she were mine, but you go with your gut on this one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google