CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Behaviour change

Old 07-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
mishima25
Behaviour change

Seeking advice once more. First summer with Naga, first bunch of problems.
So...some days ago my 8 month old Naga shed. Since then he barely comes out from his hides. He used to come out at about 8 or 9 pm and roam for some hours. Then hide and come out again during the night while I slept. Even when I took him out and put him back in he roamed for a bit, he now just heads for the cool hide immediately.
For the last week up until now we are having an extreme heat wave (expected to last for about a week more), 35-40ºC or so during day, not less than 28ºC at night, so I have to leave my blinds shut for the most part of the day to keep the heat out. I'm also having my worries in keeping the tank cool enough, but have managed to keep the cool side at around 26-27ºC with cloth-protected frozen bottles. (I will have an A/C in my room in 2 weeks, yay!) Hot side is 28-29ºC all day round. I do have noticed him drinking more water than usual.

Thing is, I don't know why he suddenly doesn't come out. It's the first time I experience this with him, so do you think it is because it's too hot, even at night and he wants to keep himself cool? Or maybe I have disrupted the day-night cycle by having to leave the blinds shut, and causing the room to be very dark for the most part of the day?

I need some advice on here.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
albertagirl
I was having the same problem with having to keep the blinds closed and very hot and I actually noticed my snakes were coming out more rather than less. At other times they've suddenly started coming out less for no apparent reason. I don't know why they suddenly hide more, I am not experienced enough to answer the question, but it may not be due to the hot/dark conditions. Incidentally, once I got my air conditioner, they went back to hiding all day again. My guess would be that the heat would speed up their metabolism and make them hungrier, making them spend more time cruising around looking for food.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
mishima25
Thank you. I was thinking maybe it was nothing, that he just felt like hiding.
Anyway, today was full cleaning day, so I changed the husbrandry positions. I hope he comes out to explore. Maybe he was just bored.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
mishima25
Sucess! He is sticking his head out right now.
When he was shedding he stretched too much the old peeling skin and it broke under the cloaca before coming off full. So I had to handle and restrain him a bit with a damp cloth to take it out. It may be I scared or stressed him too much.
I'm happy to have my baby back to normal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google