CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

The Great Reptilinks Experiment!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #21
Dragonling
I'm somewhat disappointed that you've only done 5 feedings at most. Honestly, I kind of ignored the claim that the links have double the calories because most really don't (as you said, the venison are the closest to meeting that claim). My cayenne is currently eating links of equivalent weight to the mice he'd be eating and has typically pooped twice within 48-72 hours. I currently have nothing to compare his growth to, but if I manage to get a clutch out of the pair I bought this year I'll be doing a similar experiment with fresh OOE hatchlings, since I plan to hold them back for a few sheds to decide which to keep.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
Haarstad
I won't be able to do a valid experiment either because I'm going to have both of mine on them…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarstad View Post
I'm sorry beau, I must've misunderstood your tone when you called me a repti-link cheerleader or stated that I can experiment with my snakes health because of a food item being ground up... My bad

I was just stating the facts that ground up meat has no disadvantage to something whole... And this started cause you were asking if we had pics of Corns eating deer... And I was simply getting at "don't be dumb"... I was nice about it till you felt caps were necessary.. Plenty of snakes eat deer though if that's what you want to hear... Google is king

I only called you a Cheerleader after you started lecturing me about how I wasn't giving reptilinks a chance. I don't NEED to give them a chance. Why would I? I have a perfectly acceptable food source already that is cheaper and PROVEN. If someone ever PROVES that reptilinks are a superior food source for my snake, I will happily switch over, but until that happens I will stick with mice. Thanks for the "apology".
~Beau

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #24
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed that you've only done 5 feedings at most. Honestly, I kind of ignored the claim that the links have double the calories because most really don't (as you said, the venison are the closest to meeting that claim). My cayenne is currently eating links of equivalent weight to the mice he'd be eating and has typically pooped twice within 48-72 hours. I currently have nothing to compare his growth to, but if I manage to get a clutch out of the pair I bought this year I'll be doing a similar experiment with fresh OOE hatchlings, since I plan to hold them back for a few sheds to decide which to keep.
I understand the disappointment, but if the difference in growth rate were meaningful I would have expected a difference to show up during that time. I still have a couple more feedings I can do. But this just tells me that even if there is a difference, it is likely to be subtle with the rabbit/chicken blend specifically.

I was hoping for a promising preliminary result that would encourage me to try it on hatchlings and raise them to 300g on links vs mice, which would be a better experiment. But in my hands the mouse-fed group did slightly better, suggesting any difference in growth rate between rabbit/chicken links vs mice is not likely to make a difference in the big scheme of things.

After considering the calories per kg of a rabbit/chicken link vs mouse, my preliminary result is not really surprising. I would fully expect the venison links to have an effect, although they don't make them in mini links.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #25
Haarstad
Although it won't be an experiment, I will be feeling my lovely girls these soon and I'll be sure to post pictures of how they grow! As well as anything that needs to be taken into consideration, (Feeding less often to reduce obesity), hopefully they convert over smooth!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 AM   #26
BeauBoi
Quote:
Although it won't be an experiment, I will be feeling my lovely girls these soon and I'll be sure to post pictures of how they grow! As well as anything that needs to be taken into consideration, (Feeding less often to reduce obesity), hopefully they convert over smooth!

Stop sending me private messages calling me names, you weirdo!
~Beau

Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 AM   #27
Haarstad
I called you a troll.. Are you still talking?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #28
Dragonling

Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #29
Haarstad
I wanna know how you got my picture.. Lol

Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #30
BeauBoi
Quote:
I called you a troll.. Are you still talking?

Yes, I am still talking! This is a public forum, not your personal lounge. You attacked me, when I wasn't even addressing you in the first place.
THEN you sent me a message calling me a troll and saying people here lost respect for me because I didn't agree with you.
You are seriously deranged. G.R.O.W. U.P.
~Beau

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google