CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

feeding and growth rate question

Old 01-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
santafe55
feeding and growth rate question

sorry im not sure where to put this as i have two different questions but I got a baby corn snake about 1 month ago (she was at about 20 grams then, my scale only goes in increments of 5g :/), I've been looking around other threads to see comparison growth rates but my corn snake seems to be growing really slowly. she's gained about 5 grams since i've gotten her and she's currently on 2 pinkies every 5 days. She's eating fine, and she shed once (it was in pieces but i think I just need to up humidity next time). Does that seem like a normal growth rate? and also I looked at the Munson plan and it said at 25 g they can move up to fuzzies, but she just seems so small! im worried she can't handle it

Old 01-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
You stated she's grown 5 grams in a month.

That sounds reasonable to me, considering her meals probably weigh only 2 or 3 grams, and perhaps she's been fed 5 or 6 times since you got her. How big do you think she should be by now?

Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
sian.kelly
When they're babies they only shed about once a month or longer so that's totally normal. Also, my corn is eating twenty gram mice and is putting on 7-10 grams in weight each week so they don't always gain loads of weight from their feeders, it's just a little at a time.

But it sounds like your snake is growing perfectly fine! (I'd also see about scale of possible, just so it's as accurate as possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #4
mishima25
5 gr is a correct growth rate for a baby feeding on pinks. Take your time and don't be tempted to power feed. As you begin to feed bigger mice when it's time, she'll grow a bit quicker. They also experience growth boom stages.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Dragonling
If your scale only goes by increments of 5, it's possible she could have gained 8+ in that month and the scale just isn't quite showing it. It takes about 3 years for them to reach their adult size, though they'll continue to grow slowly throughout their lives...you're not going to see THAT much growth in a single month. Enjoy the baby stage while you have it, you might miss it in a few years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google