CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Beginner Feeder Farm

Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Rosy009
Question Beginner Feeder Farm

Hiyo. I’ve been playing with the idea of starting a feeder farm. Just a small, personal one. I’m mother to four beautiful snakes, two of which are eating mice at the moment. I have two corns and two baby garters. The garter babies are too small to eat fish, let alone mice. But I will be moving them over as soon as they’re big enough.

I have a 5-year old corn, Ramses, and a 2-year old corn, Luca, that are very tame and eat really well. Ramses is eating one large adult every 10 days and Luca is eating one small adult every 10 days.

I’m just wondering if it would be a good idea for me to start a small farm, seeing how expensive it is to feed the snakes. Now that I have four snakes, I thought it might be time. Any suggestions on how to properly start one up?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
Twolunger
If you can find them, buy mice that are raised for use by laboratories. Typically they are disease free and the colonies are tested periodically. If those are unavailable check out local pet shops. I was lucky when I started a couple colonies because I could pick out any mice they had in a large tank for $1.99 each. I picked out 3 or 4 pregnant females and one male. I could then raise the baby mice to any size I wanted. The downside is that you have to buy good quality feed to raise good quality mice, and you can't be reluctant to euthanize the mice. Mice really stink and there is no end to their urine. I wouldn't want another colony in the house. I'd probably go with African Soft Fur rats, but they aren't the most docile rodents I ever had. But they don't stick like mice.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 AM   #3
Twolunger
Should say they don't stink like mice. But they are prolific. Others on the forum have raised them, and you can do a search to see what they said about them.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:11 AM   #4
Rosy009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If you can find them, buy mice that are raised for use by laboratories. Typically they are disease free and the colonies are tested periodically. If those are unavailable check out local pet shops. I was lucky when I started a couple colonies because I could pick out any mice they had in a large tank for $1.99 each. I picked out 3 or 4 pregnant females and one male. I could then raise the baby mice to any size I wanted. The downside is that you have to buy good quality feed to raise good quality mice, and you can't be reluctant to euthanize the mice. Mice really stink and there is no end to their urine. I wouldn't want another colony in the house. I'd probably go with African Soft Fur rats, but they aren't the most docile rodents I ever had. But they don't stick like mice.
Thanks so much! Any suggestions on feed? A specific brand or type I should look out for when searching for food for the mice?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Twolunger
If you have a small colony the pet supermarkets have feed like Mazuri available. I used hog pellets meant for hog maintenance that were 15% protein. Don't get the high protein formula.They are available at Tractor Supply or farm feed outlets. I supplemented the pellets with oats and carrot pieces. One bag of pellets lasts a long time. One benefit of using pellets is that some heat is used during the manufacturing process and bacteria on the grain is killed. If I fed grains bought from local farmers I heated it in my oven for 30 minutes. There is a list of things that you shouldn't feed
rodents on the internet.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Rosy009
Thanks so much

Old 12-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
MysticExotics
I have a small colony of mice, and I have raised ASF's.

It's pretty easy, once you get started.
I got some of these from someone selling out. I put them on a shelf by my laundry room.
I use horse bedding wood pellets in the bottom, it helps with the urine smell. I add pine shavings and add some Carefresh bedding.
I put empty toilet paper tubes and/or paper towel tubes, and/or empty egg cartons. They like to chew them up, and sometimes use the egg cartons to build nests in/under.

With the small number of snakes you have, I would stick with mice, because you can easily be over run with ASF's. Unless you have large Corns 500 gram+, Adult ASF's are too big for them.

My colony of mice is intended to be supplemental, and to have access to newborn pinkies for hatchlings when I have them.

I was breeding ASF's when I had more Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons. One of mine is on long term breeder loan with a friend, and when I get her back, I will likely start up another ASF colony to stock back up on feeders for her.
I will only do it for a little while, because their litters are so much bigger, and it doesn't take long to end up with enough to last a while.

I currently have three of those bins for mice (rat size bins) with 3-4 female mice, and one male.
I have an extra bin set up for a grow out bin, so the juvenile mice can get to full size without hindering the new litters in the breeder bins.

I feed Mazuri rodent blocks, I pick mine up from a local farm store. I supplement with a rodent blend that the farm store sells.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Twolunger
I really like those mouse breeding cages, but they are really expensive, unless you can find someone getting rid of their snakes and rodents. My son gave me a bunch of them when he bought out a snake breeder. I had extra bottom containers, so could swap them out daily if necessary. Unfortunately, I gave them all away when I cut back on my snake collection. I do see them on EBay new and used.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #9
Rosy009
Thanks so much this helps a bunch! I’ll definitely think I’ll be holding off until my baby garters are big enough to eat pinkies. I’m having issues with them even eating worms right now, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
MysticExotics
Have you tried f/t pinkie head? Or maybe a mouse tail, to get them eating?

I have a local friend who has produced gorgeous California Red Sided Garters, and I have been tempted to get one or two. One day I might.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
beginner, corn snake, feeder, garter snake