CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Avoid escaping of my young corn snake

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Thico
Avoid escaping of my young corn snake

Hi all,

I have a corn snake since last sunday. She is 6 months old now and I find her really small. The stories on the internet made me afraid of the corn snake escaping skills.
I understand that I always have to close the doors and I see no gap anywhere in the terrarium. The only small entry to the big bad open world is the crack between the two glass sliding doors in the front (about 3/4 milimeters). Do I have to fill it up with something? What do you advise?
I'm glad to be on time with asking, because he is still in there after last two days.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Nanci
I'd be worried about that crack. Snakes can get between sliding glass doors. You also have to be careful with any openings you have for wires to go in, for thermometers, etc.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Twolunger
Snakes are notorious escape artists. When I used glass sliding doors on my reptile enclosures I bought what was called " edge protector" strips and glued them to the glass. I bought the edge protector strips from the local hardware store, but there are other versions used by automotive dealers to protect car doors. You just need to find strips that will fit between the doors without interfering with opening and closing.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Thico
Quote:
Snakes can get between sliding glass doors
Is this even possible with adult snakes?

Quote:
When I used glass sliding doors on my reptile enclosures I bought what was called " edge protector" strips and glued them to the glass.
I have to go find these ones. Thanks for the advise.

It suprises me that a snake can escape through a 4 milimeter sized crack! They are so special !!!

Old 01-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
LadyJemima
Snakes can squeeze anywhere. And I'm very glad you have been scared by the internet! There are only 2 reasons a snake will ever escape:

#1 - improper enclosure

#2 - owner stupidity

If you take care of both, your snake will be safe forever.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
thewalkingtechie
Lol both our corn snakes have escaped at some point. Recently, Loki, the youngest and most stubborn, decided to take a 2 week vacation . We thought all hope was lost until he just turned up one night (last night actually) in the bathroom. You don’t know how much you really loves these buggers until they’re missing, especially this one as we had to put a lot of work into making him better from where he started as we got him at 6 days old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-31-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
thewalkingtechie
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingtechie View Post
Lol both our corn snakes have escaped at some point. Recently, Loki, the youngest and most stubborn, decided to take a 2 week vacation . We thought all hope was lost until he just turned up one night (last night actually) in the bathroom. You don’t know how much you really loves these buggers until they’re missing, especially this one as we had to put a lot of work into making him better from where he started as we got him at 6 days old.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
mashie
We had one, Ruby, escape through a tiny hole in the vent that a wire had been through. Found her almost 5 months later! She has now grown to a fair size and doesn't move quite so fast, so we are more confident of keeping her safe. The little ones move at lightning speed!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #9
thewalkingtechie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashie View Post
We had one, Ruby, escape through a tiny hole in the vent that a wire had been through. Found her almost 5 months later! She has now grown to a fair size and doesn't move quite so fast, so we are more confident of keeping her safe. The little ones move at lightning speed!

Yes they are quick! Don’t let them fool you either! When people say the are escape artists, it’s not a catch line, it’s a way of life !

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #10
regnar
Just to be sure, put something on that crack. You'll never know! I suggest some kind of tape. I just use a tape on any cracks for mine and I have had my snake for 2 years now and no problems!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google