CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Definitions...

Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
BriannaMcKee
Definitions...

Just a question...what defines a Motley? Amel Motley? Anery?
I know there are about 400 "morphs" so I am very confused...I know my noodles were ID'd as Anery and Amel Motley, but I have seen similar ones that are labeled totally different. Any info is much appreciated!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
brian60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Yes, as you find with what Karl referenced with Ian's Viv...which is an amazing resource...it is all genetics. There really isn't a great way off the top of my head to describe it other than these iffy examples:

Trout- you have rainbow trout, brown trout, and palomino...they're all trout...but they're different genetic variations of trout. Nearly identical and underneath the skin essentially the exact same..just different colors and patterns based on how they breed.

Labradors- silver labs, chocolate labs, black labs, etc...all labradors...and you can clearly look at any of them and say "that is a lab" but they look different due to genetics on the outside.

Neither of these examples is perfect...but that is the gist. A motley is the result of a genetic variation due to breeding, as is the anery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #4
brian60
Trust me...my little guy being a Hypo Okeetee side by side with a lava okeetee or something may look extraordinarily similar...but genetically are different and when they grow up will look much different. Karl's beautiful striped corn has probably been mis-labelled by many people in the many, many pages of his thread. Genetics, especially when there are over 700 versions, are tricky to visually label at times.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
BriannaMcKee
All good info! Just glad they are healthy! The rest is just me geeking...lol.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #6
Twolunger
Even on Ian's website you can look at a specific morph and the pictures submitted as examples often don't even resemble each other. I do like the pictures of the eyes and belly scales to help in identification.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google